Thread: Ideas for large screen TV entertainment centers

Ideas for large screen TV entertainment centers

I would like to build something for a 61" (diagonal) DLP TV (about 14" deep" Would like an area underneath for components and with an arts and crafts style.

Links or suggestions would be appreciated. Only other requirement is that is be fairly mobile (as in not a built in, not that I am going to be moving it more than once or twice a year to clean behind it).

Thanks!
    Jason Morgan

Jason

check this one out from the latest fine wood working magazine 10/2008 no.200.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=31237

Jason,
    Check out this post from a fellow creeker...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=Plasma

A very amazing plasma screen stand.
    Greg

Here is the one I built. Sapele and Sapele veneered plywood. 5 full extension drawers and an opening in the center for the center channel speaker.

Woodsmith #149

I used Woodsmith #149 as a starting place on this one. It's only a 50 inch TV. Going to try to attach a picture.
    Cannon
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm strictly an amateur woodworker, but this is the entertainment center I built last year. My TV is a 42" plasma, but I sized the opening to support a 50" plasma. The top shelf below the TV now holds my center channel speaker.

There are four sections: the eight foot long bottom section with the drawers, the two side shelving sections, and the top. If I wanted a TV larger than 50", I could rebuild the two side cabinets to be taller and narrower. Or, I could simply leave off the upper three sections and support a TV up to eight feet wide.

This center is only 16" deep and almost 6 feet tall, so I attached some brackets to the wall to keep it from wobbling around or accidently being pulled over.

Materials are nothing fancy, birch plywood and poplar face frames/drawer fronts, all standard home center stuff.

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    Jason,
    Check out this post from a fellow creeker...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=Plasma

A very amazing plasma screen stand.
    Greg
    this one is close to what I am going to do. I have a fireplace next to mine, so the ultimate deal will be a complete surround feature ...

Joe- nice work and nice proportions- I like the idea for your center channel speaker space.

Jason- as far as inspiration goes you might check out Pottery Barn, Ethan Allen, Crate and Barrel- most of these sites give some detail with sizes so you can pretty easily recreate what pleases your eye. I'm 'fixin' to make one myself and have been messing around in Sketchup to get proportions right.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you're done.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Lightbulb More Ideas!

Jason,

This 8 piece Medley sectional HEC by Riverside might offer some ideas for a DIY project...complete with dimensions and pics.

After looking at material and my time investment, I decided to go with this instead of building one (double the material price, but worth my labor time).

Hope this helps,

Ted
    Professional Amateur