Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How's everyones tomaters' doing this year???

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Sorry to hear that some of you are eating store boughts like me, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose green thumb has paled. I guess I'm going to have to get out the Qtips and do my own pollinating. That's really funny because one of my nicknames is "Bumblebee".
    Them store boughts are just plum nasty compared to homegrown.

I enjoy fresh tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Them store boughts are just plum nasty compared to homegrown.

I enjoy fresh tomatoes.
    I enjoy fresh tomatoes too, Steve. With homegrowns you inhale the scent and your mouth waters. Then you take a bite and and they burst with flavor that dances over the tongue. Store boughts are just sort of a red, fleshy pulp with a faint tomato type flavor.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

We picked a couple before the plants died. Planted three more and, so far, they are still living, but nothing red yet.
    Where's the beef.

I suggest you visit the local farmers market if your tomatoes failed and pick up something good to eat...stay away from the supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Cohen View Post
    I suggest you visit the local farmers market if your tomatoes failed and pick up something good to eat...stay away from the supermarket.
    Randy,

I'm actually pretty lucky as I can tomatoes from my parents, but they don't grow Romas. Interestingly enough, we don't have much of a farmer's market here. The farmers who do bring in produce don't ever have Romas. If I recall correctly, you sell at your local farmer' market and it sounds like you have significantly more vendors than we do at ours. Is there a large variety of produce available?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Randy,

I'm actually pretty lucky as I can tomatoes from my parents, but they don't grow Romas. Interestingly enough, we don't have much of a farmer's market here. The farmers who do bring in produce don't ever have Romas. If I recall correctly, you sell at your local farmer' market and it sounds like you have significantly more vendors than we do at ours. Is there a large variety of produce available?
    there is a very large variety available at the market i sell at. and on Saturdays there are about 25 vendors. some of them sell romas. i grow and sell san marzanos which are similar but better.
    i'm surprised that a place like Savannah doesn't have a big market.

i am starting to get a ton of tomatoes off of my one plant - i've already picked and eaten about 8, and there are 3 more almost ready and a lot of greenies.
    i also have zucchini taking off.
    but my eggplant is not looking so good...

i'm surprised that a place like Savannah doesn't have a big market.
    I think it is because the area by and large is pretty rural and everyone has a garden, a farm, or access to such. Even people with small plots of land usually have a garden. At the farmer's market there is one "permanent" vendor, and on a typical Saturday at the height of the seaon there are maybe seven or eight other vendors - mostly selling watermelons, peppers, okra, squash, and corn. Actually there are a lot more produce vendors at the local flea market, but I'm not willing to fight the weekend crowds.

Bella Terra

With all the experts here I hate to change the subject but I could use help.

After growing various vegetables all my life I finally decided this year to try broccoli for the first time. I have no idea how one knows to pick it. They are about 18" tall, and have single heads about golf ball size. I'm thinking that's all I will get due to the cold and rain the last week+, and should probably just dip them in ranch dressing and finish them off. Do they grow new heads later, or will these get bigger if I wait?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe,
    Pick broccoli when good and tender and not let go too far to seed. Once you pick a head, it seems two will take it's place, and soon you'll have broccoli running out your ears.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks. Mind you are growing season will last only a few more weeks. That's the reason I tried them, they should do better in fall than tomatoes do here.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Blog Entries
    We've been so lucky this year with three different types of Tomatos. We have to keep giving bags away to keep up with them. Our Habenaro peppers are the same way. Cantaloup was terrible this year but the corn was excellent.

Joe - brocolli will survive a freeze. Looks like heck in the morning but it's sweet in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    With all the experts here I hate to change the subject but I could use help.

After growing various vegetables all my life I finally decided this year to try broccoli for the first time. I have no idea how one knows to pick it. They are about 18" tall, and have single heads about golf ball size. I'm thinking that's all I will get due to the cold and rain the last week+, and should probably just dip them in ranch dressing and finish them off. Do they grow new heads later, or will these get bigger if I wait?
    pick your broccoli while the heads are still tight. when the heads start loosening up they will go to seed pretty quickly. your picture looks like a fairly loose head.

pick your broccoli while the heads are still tight. when the heads start loosening up they will go to seed pretty quickly. your picture looks like a fairly loose head.
    Yes, a little looser than some others, so tomorrow I pick and eat.

Sammamish, WA