Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Cordless bites the dust

I've picked up the Bosch Li-Ion 10.8 (now rated as 12v) drill and impact driver, and couldn't be happier. My dad and FIL liked them so much that I picked up one for each of them when HD cleared out the impactor for $99. At the time, Bosch had a rebate that gave you a free drill body with the purchase of an impactor. It probably wouldn't be what I would choose to put up drywall all day, but the small body impactor packs a lot of power, and I've driven 3" deck screws through signs, tapcons into cement, and all sorts of things I did not think it would do. The drill/driver is a little underpowered, but it's great for installing pocket screws.

I have a Ryobi and like it a lot.

But hate to tell you guys with Craftsman that said you would not buy Ryobi again. You just did.

I have to admit that my (corded) DeWalt Hammer Drill has been great, probably 12 years old now and never a problem.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I bought a Milwaukee 14.4 drill about four years ago. It'll be a sad day when this puppy dies. I love it. It's powerful, reliable, and has never let me down. It cost $180 IIRC, but it's been worth it over time.

My Bosch 10.8v Lithium screwdriver has been fantastic too.

As a contractor I first used Makitas then Dewalts when HD stopped offering Makita - my workhorse has been the 18v Drill w/Hammerdrill. I still have that original drill, along with a pistol grip and lately one more robust for hammer drilling. I also went with the impact since I was already set up with chargers and batteries. I've had 3 batteries go dead (but they were each over 10 years old) and had them repacked by MTO so they now work great. I've only ever had one issue with the build quality - the speed switch (1-3) on the newest hammer-drill (DC925) wont stay locked in 3. Everything else has been rock solid. The very first 18v drill I bought (DW997) is just starting to produce some grinding sounds - it probably needs new bearings. Note that I've used it extensively, probably more than most unless you're in the profession and it's been dropped offa ladders multiple times. In all I've been really happy with the tools.

Another unexpected benefit has been the 6 1/2" cordless circular saw - I end up using it a lot for quick cuts where I don't want to bother with plugging in. It's also great for cutting off the ends of long lumber or cutting down panels to fit in the back of my SUV, so I try to carry it on trips to the box stores.

-- John
    Last edited by John Eaton; 08-21-2008 at 9:38 AM.
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai

I'm not sure it technically caught fire, but I had a 12V Dewalt battery that got very hot and started spewing smoke on me. I think it was caused by the impact driver shorting internally because the other battery seemed to have a charge but would quickly warm up if I put it in the driver. I replaced it with a 14.4V Ni-Mh Makita which has been better all around.