Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which new powder metal 5/8" bowl gouge???

Which new powder metal 5/8" bowl gouge???

Well, I'm tired of making frequent trips to the grinder, and I want a couple different profiles for 5/8" gouges anyway. I have a few different gouges, but my go-to gouge is a 1/2" "supa gouge" P&N now that actually measures 5/8" around, with a more or less "U" shaped flute, but I'm grinding to around 45deg., a pretty aggressive bowl gouge, I suppose. I grind it back when I need to reach the bottom of a deep bowl, or use sharp scrapers to refine the curve. I had been grinding more of a side grind with about a 55-60deg bevel until recently, when I started really going gung-ho with a lot of roughouts, and needed a lot more aggressive cut than it could give. I want a new gouge, with the best sharpness holding potential possible-I'm mostly ruling out the 2030 styles, because if I'm spending the money, I want the best edge possible-buy it once, without having to wonder if the extra edge of 2060 vs. 2030 was worth it. The difference in price seems to be negligible between the two, so I'm going for it, but I want some input, especially if you have used more than one different brand of the 2060 tools.

Point is, my lady wants to buy me a new gouge; she's a keeper. I'm looking at a few different ones; Hamlet 5/8" 2060 ASP, the packard 2060 1/2" gouge, which is 5/8" around, the packard 2060 1/2" "side grind gouge, the crown pro-PM 1/2" ellsworth signature bowl gouge, and the SOLD OUT styles of Thompson tools. I'm leaving out the oneway because I want a wood handle on this one. I like the modular handles, but call me traditional. Money is always important, but I don't want the price to have any impact in choosing the right gouge. If the most expensive one is the best, so be it, the least, great. I don't care. I know gouges are really a matter of personal comfort, but I'm open to suggestions. I guess I'm looking for a general gouge that is good at both hogging and shearing, but you may change my mind and tell me to get a deep "V" and a "U" fluted PM gouge. Thanks for any suggestions folks.

Turning in VA,

Nate

Doug Thompson 5/8" solved for me the same problem you are having. I switched all my bowl gouges to Thompson and have never been happier!..Bill..

Thompson is worth the wait if it is sold out.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

I know your looking for a PM gouge but have you looked into the Ci1 easy rougher . There's a few videos of it in action here and on youtube.

Go Thompson!

When you order from Doug, be specific as to 1/2" flute size, or 1/2"OD or whatever. I think his gauges are OD, and maybe smaller than you want. Mine was 1/2" and it is OD. Good luck.
    Bob

Nate, another batch will be sent out to be heat treated next Monday to restock the missing sizes, the heat treatment takes 8 to 10 days.

I have Thompson 5/8 and 1/2 bowl gouges. I love the 5/8 for roughing and quick inside removal, and I particularly like the "feel" for clean up and finishing cuts that I get with the 1/2 (diameter of the shafts). I also have a Crown ProPM 1/2 straight ground that I really like for the inside bottom of bowls. All of these tools hold an edge very well. With both of these brands, you get a long shaft with a long flute, so they will last a l-o-n-g time.

Okay, obvious subtle gloat, but the Thompson gouge even just looks good. 1/2" bowl gouge with custom (means I turned it) mesquite handle. There seems to be a common theme in your replies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You got some good suggestions here already, I just have a question, what's to prevent you from putting a wooden handle on the Oneway PM tools ??
    Have fun and take care

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies, folks. Leo, I was under the impression that all the oneway tools were double ended. OOPS. Well, keep 'em comin' folks. I think I've made my decision, but we'll see. Thanks people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Gerard View Post
    I know your looking for a PM gouge but have you looked into the Ci1 easy rougher . There's a few videos of it in action here and on youtube.

I've seen them; its pretty impressive, but I'm more of a gouge person. I got to try one on a 1.5HP jet 1642 tonight, and could stall it pretty easily. I honestly don't know whether it was wired 120 or 240, in either case I'll be waiting 'til I wire up my salvaged 3HP motor to the VFD that is on the way.!!!

Thompson First but...

...I also like the Crown Pro PM series. I didn't think it was possible to get my Crowns out of my hands, but Doug did it easily with his superior tools. Well worth the small delay. I put mine in the Monster tool handles and could not be more pleased. I like wood handles but the heft and mass of Randy's Monster handles really helps with control and vibration. I think it is THE tool combination for the foreseeable future. I have a couple of Oneway's but the Thompson/Monster combo is just nicer overall. Thanks to Doug and Randy !
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I have three Thompson 5/8 V gouges which allows me to turn all day and before I leave for the day I sharpen so they are ready for the next day. I have almost all of Doug's tools and they are the best I've seen and used. Well worth the wait!

I own the Crown PM Ellsworth. It gives a little more edge life, but it's not "amazing". But I sharpen frequently, anyway, keeping the edge keen on my tools for best results. That frequency is anywhere between 30 seconds of cutting time on spalted material and 10-20 minutes on easy cutting stuff. I have three "identical" gouges and use them all to stretch the time actually going to the grinder. But mind you, this is for touch-up and doesn't remove much metal at all.

(Bill, I cannot imagine only sharpening once per day, unless I'm mis-reading your post. Unless it's a carbide tool, the edge just isn't going to stay usable that long no matter what kind of steel it's made of)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another vote for the Thompson gouges. If you want some serious hogging from your gouge, you will need to sweep the edges back a bit, as they come not very swept. How far back the sweep is, and how much torque your lathe has determines how big of a shaving you can remove. The factory grind on the Thompson gouges matched almost perfectly with my Ellsworth jig. For me, when I am roughing, I use a big heavy scraper. The shavings go up over my hand, not across the top of it. No more turning callus on my left pinky finger.
    robo hippy