Thread: Vista Issues .... AGAIN

Vista Issues .... AGAIN

Vista has indeed been a challenge. I have to say that I am up an going with Vista, but one remaining gremlin keeps showing up. I have my Helix connected to Vista (by way of a Dell XPS 420 Core 2 Quad) by a ethernet connection. Since my Dell came with only one ethernet card (used by my router), I added a second ethernet card for the Helix.

Generally everything is fine. Every once in a while though, my Helix gets lost. When I send it a job, it does not show up. When I re-boot my Dell and re-send the job, all is well. As a matter of fact all is very well because the 1st job that never made it to the Helix is there also!

I figure Vista is loosing the ethernet connection somehow. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there a way of re-establishing the ethernet connection without re-booting the computer?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

There's one relatively easy DOS method that might restore the connection. If you can find your way to Accessories, open the command prompt and type: IPCONFIG /RENEW Make sure there is a space after IPCONFIG. With any luck, it will ping the laser and all will be well
    Epilog Mini 24 45W/various other dangerous implements the wife has ok'd over the years

My dell vista machine started thinking it had to network connections when it only had one. the only thing that worked was a system restore to the day before but if I rebooted the problem was back. simple solution go back to xp (G)
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Eric,

I resorted to the command prompt a fair amount in earluier Windows OS's, I have to admit, however, I have no idea how to get to the command prompt in Vista.

May I ask why you are not running the ethernet from the laser to the router? We have our Helix connected to our router/switch so that multiple PCs can send jobs to the laser, works flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Vaughn View Post
    Eric,

I resorted to the command prompt a fair amount in earluier Windows OS's, I have to admit, however, I have no idea how to get to the command prompt in Vista.
    thats one of the things that annoys me about vista. they changed things that used to be simple. like the documents and settings folder got totally trashed and rearranged. netorwking used to be simple now it is a pain.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-21-2008 at 7:39 AM. Reason: language
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

just type in what you want into the start menu search box...

My answer to Vista:

Apple Computer, Inc.

Just a thought.

Matt,

I chose to go the route of adding a second ethernet port to maintain a dedicated port for the Helix "thinking" that would be the best option. With XP Pro it seems to have been a good thing, with Vista I have had the issue at hand.

I am left wondering, whatever the fix may be, why Vista is loosing the ethernet connection to the Helix ....

Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Command Prompt.

Hope this works for you.

Bill

or click "start" and type "command"

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Vaughn View Post
    ...how to get to the command prompt in Vista...
    Gregg,

Easiest/fastest way for most of us is WinKey+r.
    This brings up the Run dialog; type in "cmd" and press [Enter] or click OK

Works on all Windows systems back to at least win95
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Thanks Roy .....