Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: sawstop vs other tool upgrades...

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson View Post
    Sawstop owner. I agree with Mike.

I have said it before, gonna say it again.

There is a better built North American style table saw available.

No safety features. 13 thousand clams for the basic.
    Up to 35 thousand will all the features.
    We will stick with our #2 Sawstop.
    Of course if you need #1, by all means, give Northfield a call.
    Per
    Actually the Northfield as good of guards as any euro saw
    and I have to disagree about the saw stop being #2 I would put the Unisaw,PM66, and General 350/650 before the saw stop, the saw stop is still a Taiwanese made saw and I've never used a machine that's broken down more times then a saw stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Dupay View Post
    Actually the Northfield as good of guards as any euro saw
    and I have to disagree about the saw stop being #2 I would put the Unisaw,PM66, and General 350/650 before the saw stop, the saw stop is still a Taiwanese made saw and I've never used a machine that's broken down more times then a saw stop.
    What broke down on the sawstop?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rafael View Post
    What broke down on the sawstop?
    What didn't break would a better Question; belts, motor, trunnion, bearings, and the blade raising gear.

Seems like an anomaly you would have so many problems Simon. Was SS very helpful in resolving any of them?
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Exclamation

Folks... For some reason a Sawstop question drags out the worst in people. There is a difference between commenting on the OP's original question and putting down others opinions. Inflammatory comments in an attempt to "win" an argument is uncalled for and will be deleted without explanation.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Very unusual what kind of use?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Dupay View Post
    What didn't break would a better Question; belts, motor, trunnion, bearings, and the blade raising gear.
    Simon, Being civil as was suggested, yours seems a singular experience. Per Swenson is a full time pro and his SawStop probably sees 200% of the use that we duffer hobbiest types and has no complaints. If your saw is actually breaking down, and I'm not even trying to say that it couldn't happen, passing along your circumstances would be a big help to the rest of us. For example, are you a professional user? Is the saw used only by you, or is it a shop saw? IF a shop saw then others might be abusing the machine when you aren't there. Speaking as an engineer if you are breaking the trunion bearings in the SawStop most other machines would have given up too. Please note I don't currently own a SawStop or work for them so what I'm telling you is my own unsolicited opinion. Most owners have also reported excellent customer service. Has your experience been different? I would like to know before I buy one.
    Bill Jepson

Everything can have a lemon. But the only complaint I've ever heard(until Simon's) about sawstop is the price. Sounds like he might have gotten one that fell off the truck.

Well, the saw is one at work BUT others might not have problems until after their warranty is gone, just my opinion. To saw stop's credit they took care of my boss very well but in my opinion the best CS is not needing to use CS. And sorry if i offended anyone I was just expressing my experience with the saw.

Exclamation SawStop For Me After Injury

The inventors of the saw have provided the woodworking community with one of the most amazing advances in safety ever introduced into the woodworking. I will be surprised if all professional woodshops that have employees don’t have Sawstop type saws within five years; worker compensation insurance will be higher or prohibitive for shops without this automatic safety feature on their saws.

As for self-employed and hobbyist woodworkers, the decision will be much harder due to the price of admission. I know for me it became clear two weeks ago when I caught my left hand in my Jet cabinet saw. I have been a serious woodworker for over thirty years and never have experienced any serious injuries. I always have used guards and have been acutely aware of the risk because I am an injury prevention research epidemiologist. Tiredness, inattention, and a kicked up blade guard at the end of a cut all combined to provide me the window for a potentially devastating injury. I was done cutting and moving to shut off the saw.

I did a lot of damage to my hand. The violence and shock of the impact is indescribable. I don’t wish that on anyone. Finger amputation was the planned course of action as I went into surgery. I lucked out, they didn’t amputate and believe I will keep my fingers and they should work when healed. I am also lucky because I live 30 minutes from one of the best hand surgery centers in the country. As they say, time is tissue and the time between my injury and surgery was minimal. A word to the wise, have a plan and know where to go if you ever have one of these injuries. It can make all the difference. Finally, I am very lucky because I have excellent health insurance. This will be an expensive injury.

So, as I type this rant with one heavily bandaged hand with pins and metal holding two fingers together I have already decided to purchase the Sawstop. I am off this morning to place my order before the announced price increases. Not too tough of a decision since I love woodworking and am pleased to have an option to help minimize the risks associated all but inevitable lapses in attention that can open up the injury risk window.

My mistake can be called stupid but I would rather call it preventable. I will have a lot of time to think about it as I go through weeks of healing followed by physical therapy. Trust me, the extra cost is worth the reduced risk.

I hate to be the one to ask, but why are you wanting to replace the RIDGID? It's a terrific saw and has the same heft and many better features than some of the cabinet saws out there. I got rid of my steel stand and put it on a wood cabinet with casters both to get it up higher and improve the dust collection. It's also easy to wheel around and has storage to boot. To me, it feels as solid as a cabinet saw.

For what it's worth -- keep the RIDGID for now and get all the other tools you need. Then start thinking about a cab saw (that's what I'm doing).

JW

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    The irony of replacing my ridgid TS is that my wife made the comment that i should have just gotten the SS in the first place.

I could only imagine my wife's reaction if (before she was fully aware of my woodworking affliction and that I could make her nice things) if I had told her I wanted to spend $4500 on a saw. She probably would still be laughing today...
    Last edited by Jason White; 09-06-2008 at 9:10 AM.

Alex

Not to beat a dead horse but was wondering if you have ordered the SawStop. Last year I found an item on Craigs list that I wanted and my wife traveled with me to pick it up. While at the seller's home he said the he had just purchased the SS and gave my wife and I a demonstration on its features. He bought it because he was an airline pilot and it was cheap insurance that would hopefully keep him flying if he had an accident while using the saw.

On our way home my wife said that we needed to order a SS. No questions were asked by me and a week later it was sitting in my shop.

It was a burden on our budget but I have never regretted the purchase. I just retired after 31 years of teaching and I know that it was an excellent investment for me. She is a beauty!

Dennis

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Me thinks Alex is preoccupied at the moment assembling.....

G