Thread: Preventing veneer on plywood from chipping - tongue and groove routing

Preventing veneer on plywood from chipping - tongue and groove routing

Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can prevent veneer from chipping whilst running 3/4 inch maple plywood across the grain on a router table, along the plywood edge, over a groove bit?

I tried blue painters tape over the area I'm routing, it helped to reduce chipping a little, but not much.

Score the face along the trim/cut line with a straight edge and a very sharp utility knife.

Now why didn't I think of that - THANKS Mike.

Blog Entries
    You might also try a strip of masking tape over the edge to be routed.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I made a zci that worked well, but then went to a whiteside upcut spiral 1/4" bit for the groove and it works perfectly. I do, however, use 2 router tables for the tongue and groove so I only need to set up once for the operation. If using the Sommerfeld system with a single router table I would use the zci.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

Blog Entries
    I do what Mike does. An Xacto knife is also my marking knife so it is always handy.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-20-2008 at 9:39 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Pardon my ignorance Rick, what is a zci?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Hillmer View Post
    Pardon my ignorance Rick, what is a zci?
    Zero Clearance Insert...a replacement throat plate for a saw that has an opening created by the blade, itself. Since there is "no" overhang of material, splintering is greatly reduced or even eliminated with the right combination of sharp blade and blade height.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not sure if it would help for this particular situation or not, but perhaps you can attach sacrificial stock to the face. Sort of like a mobile ZCI!

-Ed

I find a straight bit with a shear angle on the carbide or a spiral up cut aids in reducing chip out on plywood. A ZCI can be a dedicated router plate insert, but it can also be as simple as a piece of 1/8" hardboard double stick taped to teh table top with the bit raised up through it. This will leave the edge of the material fully supported through the cut and less prone to tear out.

Ah, I see ok thanks. So is there a commercial product I could buy, a ZCI for this router table - fence combo which I have - the deluxe router table (below link) - something I could adapt to it? Or am I pretty much stuck with rigging up a ZCI myself?

http://www.ptreeusa.com/routerTables.htm

M not happy at all with this table but I'm stuck with it for now...
    Last edited by Daniel Hillmer; 08-20-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Hillmer View Post
    Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can prevent veneer from chipping whilst running 3/4 inch maple plywood across the grain on a router table, along the plywood edge, over a groove bit?

I tried blue painters tape over the area I'm routing, it helped to reduce chipping a little, but not much.
    The easiest/quickest way to do this is to simply set your fence forward so the depth of cut is only 1/64th - 1/32nd deep. Run your ply at this depth to make what is essentially a "scoring cut", then set the fence back to normal depth and make the final pass at full depth to finish it off.

All this happens a lot faster than it sounds and should eliminate your problem. I've used it on both red oak and prefinished maple ply with excellent results.
    Larry Prince
    Ridge Custom WoodWorks
    Ypsilanti, MI

All opinions contained herein belong to Suzy. I had absolutely no input whatsoever.

I use a pre-score method. After marking out the location of the dado, use a straight edge and a sharp marking knife or utility knife, and score the veneer exactly where you plan to run the router bit. I use this method for tablesaw cuts and it works great. This should eliminate all or most of any tearout.