Thread: Ridgid Gloat...13" planer fell off the truck

Ridgid Gloat...13" planer fell off the truck

I was just running an errand for the kids when I see the cummins truck parked in town. They were closing up shop as i pulled in, but I asked if they had any Ridgid Planers...yup, one left, Its in my trunk now, and at $279 I think it was a good purchase.

I love mine, other then the fact that it is very heavy. I had the drive belt break, and they sent me another one free.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Hammond
    I love mine, other then the fact that it is very heavy. I had the drive belt break, and they sent me another one free.

Bob
    Hey Bob..."Heavy" for a planer is a GOOD thing!

Congrats on the new toyl, Tim! Don't have that flavor, but I've heard some pretty good feedback on them. Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

"seriously out of breath"...the thing is pretty heavy. I just unpacked it and brought it down to the shop. Looks to be in brand new condition, although it was supposed to come with an extra set of knives that were not in the box, but it did have a dust chute in it that I was not expecting. I am going to contact cummins to see if they will ship me a set of knives. Be warned that the refurb through cummins does NOT include the stand that comes with the unit if you buy it at the store. But I was not planning on using a stand with this anyway.

Thumbs up

Tim, I bought the same planer about a year ago. It worked well on the oak I planed for face frame and top for an oak sideboard!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Tim, look under the two swingdown input and outfeed tables for the spare set of blades. I think that's where mine were.
    Ken

I looked there after reading a review posted online from the old BP forum and went down to look under the outfeed table...nada. There are 2 clips but nothing attached. I understand they are not terribly expensive to purchase, maybe they included the dust chute in lieu of the blades. Thanks for the suggestion though!!

Thumbs up

Tim, I think you got short changed. Mine came with a 2nd set of blades and the dust chute. The thing won't operate very long without the dust chute. I don't know if a review I read or if it's in the manual but somewhere I heard that the thing will damage itself if operated without the attachment. I hook mine to a 16 gallon shop vac and it only takes a few moments taking off a 32nd of an inch of material to fill the thing. In my new shop there is going to be a dc system! Enjoy! I really have been happy with mine!
    Ken

Thanks ken, I'll find out tomorrow what they are willing to do.

I've been wondering about that planer. A local HD has an old, grey, demo unit, no stand, and I wouldn't know what else missing from the kit. The best the tool crib manager would do was $250, even though the stores that still have these in the box are closing them out for $149. I'll try him again in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    Thanks ken, I'll find out tomorrow what they are willing to do.
    Ken,

Almost forgot, I have seen it posted over on BT3Central that Ridgid may provide free replacement parts for demo units & whatnot. You might give them a try for the extra set of blades.

Called Cummins this morning and they will fax my info to ridgid, who will them send me my blades...very cool customer support!!