Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandpaper storage

Sandpaper storage

I would like to do something to organize my sandpaper supplies. What I would really like but can’t seem to find is some Plano type plastic organizer containers that have no dividers molded into them so that they could hold a 9 x 11 sheet flat. I would like to get a number of them for each different grip\type of paper I keep and then label them and build a cabinet to hold them all in.

The closest thing I’ve found that may work is this case by Iras (http://www.organize-it-online.com/it...-projcase.html) but it’s a little deeper then I would like and at $8 a pop, they are pretty pricy for what they are and how I’ll be using them. Anybody know of a source for a similar product and a much lower price?

I’m also open to other ideas for a sandpaper stations if any of you have come up with (or come across) any cool or creative solutions? I’ve seen similar designs that used small removable shelves instead of plastic containers but I really like the container idea better just to keep dust and stuff out of them.

Thanks!

How about a small box. You could use 1/4" hardboard for the shelves, and they could slide in grooves cut into the sides. A 3/4" X 3/4" piece of scrap glued to the front of the hardboard could serve as a handle as well as be labeled...

One option is Lee Valley...

They have these storage cases:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...82&cat=51&ap=2

but, the letter size is 8.5"x11", which is smaller than the standard sand papers which is typically 9"x11". Of course you can get the legal size, but that will have too much unused space plus quite a bit more expensive.

I just keep my full sheets in the box they come in when I buy them

Try Item #2013 from this website http://www.sterilite.com/Category.ht...ctCategory=144

Wal-mart had them in the store, but I don't see them on the website. They'll probably still run ~$12 each. IIRC, you can take the top off one and the bottom off of another and stack them.

Walmart sells 4 drawer plastic storage boxes by "Sterilite" Each drawer is about 2" deep and hold sandpaper sheets perfectly, they are also stackable".
    I'm pretty sure that I paid less than $5.00 each for them on sale. They are in the "Kitchen/Houseware aisle.

The king of storage is usually Target. If Wal-Mart has a "tub" (I call all that plastic storage "tubs"), then its 95% likely that Target has it, as well as 2 or three other variations!
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    I use a plastic file organizer. the kind with a handle on top like folks who don't yet require a regular file cabinet might use. It accepts wide-bottom hanging folders and I keep my sheet paper in there. I'll try to find a pic. . . . like this but without the organizer do-jobber on top.
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...NL._AA262_.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I do similar to Glenn except I just open the boxes and keep them sorted by grit so it's easy to get what I'm looking for.

A while back I think Shop Notes had a nice sand paper storage system that was pretty neat. I cannot locate that issue at the moment but did built one and it works just fine! I will see if I can locate the issue. Well I finally found it ... it was in Wood Magazines "Best-Ever Workshop Solutions 2006" as Sandpaper Storage Bin. It is for normal 8-1/2" x 11" sheets and has a template of sorts for easierly cutting smaller sizes!
    Leo
    Last edited by Luther Oswalt; 08-22-2008 at 4:34 PM.

If you don't want to build your own here is a very nice unit and the price isn't to bad either.
    http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11449
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Also check out an office supply place. I have often incorporated a lot of their plastic "stackables" and vertical organizers for different things. If you aren't against keeping the paper in the original box, then I would think that a hanging file folder drawer system would work,with the "wide width" folders. Exposed sandpaper would probably take it's toll on the hanging folders after limited use. I've been wanting to make something of the such for a while but never seem to find the time. If worse comes to worse, I can always buy a two drawer file cabinet and store it under a bench, etc.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Thanks for all the input guys...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    They have these storage cases:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...82&cat=51&ap=2

but, the letter size is 8.5"x11", which is smaller than the standard sand papers which is typically 9"x11". Of course you can get the legal size, but that will have too much unused space plus quite a bit more expensive.
    Damn, those would almost be perfect. I would like to see them a tad deeper (say 1"-1.5") but you're right, what few products I have found are setup for wrtting paper 8.5"w and that will be the biggest issue finding what I'm looking for.

I've seen a number of open storage designs like the one from Hartville. There not bad but I just know that my shop gets (and usually stays) pretty dusty so I'd rather do something that encloses the sheets but yet still makes it easy to find and get to the exact grit I'm looking for.

I have gone to almost every store I can think of that might sell something that will work (all the 'marts, target, all the office supply places, etc.) but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet. Luckly for me, this is just something I want to do rather then something I have to do so I have time to keep looking. It's not like this is holding me back or keeping me from getting stuff done.

Anyway, thanks again everybody!

I'd just make an open cabinet with dadoes for sliding in hardboard for the shelves, but then use either more hardboard or even clear plastic material (also from big box stores) cut smaller so they lay on top of the sandpaper. That keeps the dust off the paper, you just lift em up to get the paper from underneath.

SHaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Try Item #2013 from this website http://www.sterilite.com/Category.ht...ctCategory=144

Wal-mart had them in the store, but I don't see them on the website. They'll probably still run ~$12 each. IIRC, you can take the top off one and the bottom off of another and stack them.
    These are sized for 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper. Won't work with 9 x 11 sheets of sand paper.

Russ