Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For you folks who want a SawStop but...

For you folks who want a SawStop but...

Oh, well....guess I'll just have to be happy with last year's purchase of a reconditioned American made Uni - which I bought for $1050.
    Maurice

less cast iron on the trunions, and a smaller table.....I guess I could do without the gas-piston assist on the blade height....but with the smaller table, I'd have to size it up against the competition to see if it would be worth it...

But that saw is only about $300 cheaper than the current industrial Sawstop ($600 cheaper than as of October 31st). A little cheaper, but not earthshatteringly cheaper than the current SS.

Thanks for the info though. My Sawstop thread seems to have taken on a life of its own with lots of good advice from people.

Glad to also know when they plan on increasing prices on the current unit so that I can order before then.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I'm interested in a riving knife saw, but would love to have the hot dog stopper in case of a serious brain fart. The price might just make it affordable enough.

My Unisaw will outlast me, but I do like modern safety features...

Cheers!

Hey Bri,

I think this new SS may give the new Uni a run for the dollar. I know if I was buying a cabinet saw today I'd be seriously looking at the SS just for the safety features involved. But, having an American made Uni already.....well someone else will have to buy the SS with my name on it LOL.

Are you having your woodworkers BBQ this year??

HA HA HA It's good to see some one putting pressure on the old guard since they have been cutting back on the quality and weight for some years now. Maybe now they will try to build better tools instead of trying to build 'em cheaper.

For the price break, I'd go for the industrial one too. Granted you can add on table extensions and all, but if you're committing that amount of $ to a TS, the additional isn't going to be noticeable to the bottom line over the life of the tool IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    Glad to also know when they plan on increasing prices on the current unit so that I can order before then.
    Does that mean the dice are cast & your mind is made up? Congrats if so. You will not be disapointed.
    Any post with SS in it seems to be a can o worms.... alot like the mention I made about buying a new LV or LN plane versus a flea market special in your post in The Cave...

Greg

Yeah Greg, the dice have been cast, and am going to order the Sawstop. Probably in the next couple of weeks.

I think the most convincing observation someone made on that monster of a thread was if i didn't get the Sawstop and DID hurt myself on another saw, my wife would never let me live it down.

My wife even made the comment that if I needed to buy it sooner rather than later to go ahead and get it...

I think my wife is scheming and is up to something, I just haven't figured out what yet...
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Smile

I think my wife is scheming and is up to something, I just haven't figured out what yet...
    Whatever it is I'm sure it's going to cost more than a sawstop.

Greg, I wouldn't be surprised if there werent a shimmery wish list in your future shortly after the arival of yuor new saw, no matter what saw it is.

"Should be available in Spring 2009"?

I wonder if this will be the kind of moving target seen with the contractor saw?

Looks like SS recognizes that the inevitable price increases are going to scare away some potential customers (existing SS prices going up by $300 on Oct 1); with this new saw, they might just have a winner with it almost in the same price range as a PM2000 cabinet saw.

At this point in my WW hobby, I just don't think I am ready to plunk down a huge amount of money on any saw, but when I decide to get my last table saw, SS will definitely be on the list.

And long term, advancemet in safety technology benefits all of us.

Yeah Greg, the dice have been cast, and am going to order the Sawstop. Probably in the next couple of weeks.

I think the most convincing observation someone made on that monster of a thread was if i didn't get the Sawstop and DID hurt myself on another saw, my wife would never let me live it down.

My wife even made the comment that if I needed to buy it sooner rather than later to go ahead and get it...

Congratulations Alex on the pending SS order.

As for the OP -- It looks like SS is trying harder to be competitive which is something I welcome even though I've already bought one. This new addition to the SS line will make their technology available for far more people which is very good.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

They have to think about future markups and price increases expanding the price differences with other products. When I was looking for saws last year the SawStop was one that I looked at -- It is a very nice saw. The final price to my house for the saw and fence was just under $4500.00 - I ended up getting the PM2000 with some discounted extras and the 50" table through Amazon for around $2200.00. Not a minor difference!

The PM2000 is more saw than I need - but it provides me with the proper capacity to make the larger cuts that I occasionally need to make vs the 30 year old Sears cabinet saw that I got when I was in high school.

If I had a child starting new to woodworking I would have looked at the Sawstop differently - my dad bought me the Sears based on the way the guard was designed vs the other products available at that time.

I think it will be fantastic when the costs are reduced to a point that it can be included in the direct drive saws that all the contractors and new wood workers have. Just having an addition finished and watching them work I can tell you -- it is needed!

I have always been a little afraid of table saws and shapers - thats a good thing!