Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on a wood buy - thickness issues.

Need advice on a wood buy - thickness issues.

I have an opportunity to buy about 4000 bd ft walnut and cherry that has been air dried several years. It reads 9-10%, but it measures from 15/16 to 1" thick. Most of it appears relatively flat, but I am concerned that I would have difficulty getting 3/4" out of it. There are some wide boards - 12", but most of it is 7-8". Price is right - $1/ft. It is stickered with like wood, but seeing what it looks like is difficult. From what I can tell, it is at least #1 common. What are the thoughts? I would probably sell most of the cherry to try to net out much of the walnut. It is about 3/4 walnut.

The price certainly is right, even if you get 1/2" or 5/8" out of it. No one says your projects have to be 3/4". I'm thinking you could use it for boxes or smaller projects. That thickness would be very usable as a ship lapped back for a bookcase or hutch.

You should be able to get 3/4 easy. If you are careful in your surfacing you could probably get 13/16. As you said it is relatively flat.

Also only surface what you need for one project at a time and leave the rest stacked. If you layout what you need on the rough boards you can cut them a few inches long then surface them. Shorter boards will be easier to get the most thickness.

Hope that helps.
    Eiji

John,
    Not sure I quite understand. Typical 4/4 starts out at 1" thick and is then planed down to 3/4". If the boards have cupped or are twisted quite a bit then yes you will have difficulty getting 3/4" out of it but you would have difficulty if you bought 4/4 from a supplier and it was cupped or twisted. I bought about 100 bd.ft. of cherry at 7/8" thick and had no problem getting solid 3/4" wood out of it.

And one last thing...where is this wood because I know others around here would jump at the opportunity for walnut and cherry at $1 / bd.ft....lol....congrats on the gloat but we do want to see some pictures...

Jeff, I guess I should have added that my woodworking interest lies mainly in casework, so 3/4" is, for the most part, the minimum thickness for my needs. Also, this is wood that would be stored for many future projects as I am a hobbiest, and do not do this for a living - yet. I would like to retire a few years down the road and be more active with woodworking.

This wood has been outside, although largely covered. It has some checking, both on the ends, and on some of the more exposed surfaces.

Greg, in this area, the customary milling is 9/8" green, with final thickness in excess of 1". This would was, at the owner's admission, cut too thin. Were the price not what it is, my interest would not be as great as I have made bad purchases before with wood that was too thin, too much sapwood, etc. It is so difficult buying stacked and stickered wood because it is truly a "pig in a poke."

I may drive by today and take a couple of pics to post for inspection before others comment. Still undecided on whether to take this risk. It is a "take all" deal, and that is a lot of wood for a guy that builds a couple of projects a year - not to mention a lot of money!!

Personally, I would not buy $4,000 worth of wood without looking it over first. A buck a foot is cheap (maybe even if it's firewood) but it's still four grand. If the guy would not let me inspect the boards first, I would pass. However, assuming that this wood is decent enough for you to want to buy it, you should not have any trouble getting 3/4 out of it. If it is so badly twisted and cupped that you cant mill a 1" thick piece down to 3/4", you should be able to see that easily by looking at the ends. I would want to dig into the stack a bit to see just what I was buying. As long as you are willing to re-stack the wood, I don't see any reason the guy would object.
    David DeCristoforo

David, I appreciate your comments. Your experience is invaluable. The fellow would have no objection to me looking through the wood, and I could do that to a degree, but it is A LOT OF wood. It was cut from more than one tree and is stacked pretty high. I am going to post a pic later this evening of the stacks. One of the things I am concerned about is the amount of surface checking on some of the more exposed boards and the ends. There will be some waste. I will follow up later this evening with a pic or two so maybe everyone could have a better idea. Thanks again.

4,000 BF is indeed a lot of wood. But you don't need to go through it all. Just dig into the pile a few "layers" deep and see what you get. Some surface and end checking is to be expected. And at a buck a BF, you can be pretty forgiving. But you want to make sure you are getting some useable wood. If you figure around six bucks a foot for cherry or walnut, you could buy around seven hundred BF of top quality material for four grand.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Jeff, I guess I should have added that my woodworking interest lies mainly in casework, so 3/4" is, for the most part, the minimum thickness for my needs.
    I just made a perfectly nice china cabinet out of 5/8" cherry. I bought the wood at an auction and couldn't get it to 3/4" Not a big deal.

Well, here are the pics - pretty rough stacks. The smaller stack has been sitting in that location for 15 years - long enough for some of it to be stolen. I figured it at 1500 bd ft. It actually metered higher in moisture content than the second bunch. I think mostly because it was not covered well.

The second bunch has been sitting for 5+ years. The stack farthest toward the back is cherry, the rest is walnut. I figured the cherry at a little over 1100', and the walnut at a little over 1700. There are some missing boards in some layers, so I netted a 4000' number for a guesstimate.

And Wade, you are probably right on the 5/8". It seems to have just been that standard, but I am sure there are thousands of nice pieces done with thinner stock.

David, I did pull a couple of boards here and there and the ones I saw were easily #1 common.

So, does this change anyone's mind?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I always leave the lumber rough, and then cut the lengths and rough widths I need. then I joint the face, and plane to thickness. A board that moves across it's entire length would likely not yield 3/4", but if the lenghts are often 4ft or less you should be fine...joe

Put a straight edge on it and check the lenght and width..

Also consider how long your finished boards need to be..

IE: dont check 12' when you only need 4' straight..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Well, from looking at the pics, that's pretty carelessly stored wood. I would expect to see around 50% waste there. For me this is a "crap shoot". On one hand it's a lot of wood. On the other hand, it's not been properly stored and is (from what you have stated) not "the best" grade to begin with. Is this four grand burning a hole in your pocket? If not, I would not be too excited about this "deal".
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Well, from looking at the pics, that's pretty carelessly stored wood. I would expect to see around 50% waste there. For me this is a "crap shoot". On one hand it's a lot of wood. On the other hand, it's not been properly stored and is (from what you have stated) not "the best" grade to begin with. Is this four grand burning a hole in your pocket? If not, I would not be too excited about this "deal".

Ditto... I wouldn't let the "it's only a dollar a bd ft" keep running around in my head. You've been able to inspect it, we haven't but from the pictures it looks like a lot of wood for sure... however if you end up spending days and how ever many hours of machine time trying to get usable lumber out of it I'd have to factor that into it also. Perhaps your time has little value or you get "value" out of doing this sort of thing. some folks do and that's fine.

I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that this seller has already contacted every cabinet shop he could find about buying this stuff and everyone of them have passed on it. Which of course doesn't mean it isn't worth what he's asking, only that they didn't want to invest the time in culling it.

And as another poster mentioned... you could buy a lot of "choice" lumber for that money and not have the storage, transportation and culling issues with it.

But again, none of us have seen it.... tough to give a good opinion.

Air dried wood 15 yrs to the weather, I'd be worried about bugs, particularly with the cherry but also with the walnut. That's a free meal and a nice home to many species of unwanted pests. And you probably won't find them hanging out as much in the first few layers as the middle. Proceed with caution there.