Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Blade Cleaning

I use Rockler brand cleaner. It comes a nice little container you can sit you blade on but keeps it elevated slightly so as to allow the liquid to get all over. Also comes with a brush and smaller container for router bits. I think it was like $15 when they go on sale.

I've also used the bit and blade cleaner from Boeshield. That cleaned the blades but started to take off the printing on the side of the blade. No huge deal if it was a single blade but it kind of made putting on my dado blades a little longer because I had to figure out which outside blade went where.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stuewe View Post
    Ok, bottom line what do you have to do to clean your blades?

Soak for xx minutes? Then scrub with ???

or

Spray on and scrub with ???

Then what? Rinse with water and dry off every nook and cranny (especially those anti-vibration slots)?

Sorry for the questions from a lazy cleaning challenged guy (wait till I get up the nerve to ask about cleaning oil-based paint brushes!).

Check out Marc's site. thewoodwhisperer.com . He did a video on how he cleans bits and blades using the Rockler system. Basically pour the entire bottle in the containter. Let the blade sit in the container for a few minutes. Take the brush and brush every tooth out. Then make absolutely sure the blade is dry. I use a rag to get most it dry and then follow with compressed air.

Oh and I also rinse the cleaner out after brushing. Not sure if Marc does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham View Post
    I use oven cleaner, gloves and a toohtbrush. Works VERY well BUT it's not friendly. I will try Simple Green.

Doesn't the oven cleaner weaken the bond of the carbide to the blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hingco View Post
    Doesn't the oven cleaner weaken the bond of the carbide to the blade?
    I think you just stepped in it

The answer -- on this site -- from a guy FROM Freud -- IMPLIES that ... given time ... it will.

So ... if you like to play it really safe, you might avoid oven cleaner.

No long baths in Simple Green, either.

There really doesn't seem to be any reason to soak a blade overnight, in ... anything.

Lestoil works. I use my 50/50 Simple Green mix, but I'm in and out in 15 minutes.

Lots of ways.....

I don't put anything on the blade after I clean it with SG. Dick
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I've always use oven cleaner but will try simple green

CMT2050 and the Bit And Blade cleaner from the Boeshield people seem to be the same stuff other than orange dye in the CMT stuff. At least they smell the same. Both work incredibly well for me. If you let a blade get really bad maybe spray it on let it soak in for 5 minutes and hit each tooth with either a brass brush or old toothbrush then repeat for any missed spots. On a normally dirty blade just once is enough. And if you use a UHMW insert or cut PVC trim or pipe they both take the reside from that right off as well. I always rinse the blade in hot water. I find that if I wipe the worst off the rest flashes off in a few seconds so no rust forms and the blade is ready to go.

Could use soap and water to do the same after WD40, but why not just buy a purpose-made cleaner you don't need to worry about. Its only about $9 for an 18oz bottle of the CMT stuff which goes a long way. Bit & Blade is about the same for an 8oz bottle.

I use household cleaner in hot water, followed by a rinse in hot water and then dry the blades with a rag......Regards, Rod.

I would also agree with the simple green.
    One thing people have not mentioned, the scrub brush.
    Our club just had a presentation from Freud and the presenter was adamant that a brass bristle brush should NEVER be used on carbide!
    I had bought and used a number of brass bristle brushes for cleaning router bits, saw blades, etc. Anyone want to buy a used brush? (grin)
    Seriously, he recommended a nylon bristle brush as the best choice. He also suggested simple dish detergent as the cleaning agent.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

One other tip that I discovered when I cleaned about 10 blades one day - Use a piece of 1/8"-3/16" nylon rope to floss the gullets. It is a lot easier than trying to get a brush in there.

So I use Simple green in a 5 gallon bucket. A 10" blade lays down flat in a bucket so I just keep the simple green in the bucket so it is always ready to go. Then I scrub the flats with a nylon brush, floss the teeth, dry it with a towel and blow it off with the compressor.

Simple Green

In an article on "Choosing and using blade cleaners" in Woodsmith's book Table Saw Secrets, they state the manufacturers of Simple Green warn to not use Simple Green for carbide tipped blades as it leaches the carbide from the tips. Instead use Extreme Simple Green. It and Lestoil were top picks in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Our club just had a presentation from Freud and the presenter was adamant that a brass bristle brush should NEVER be used on carbide!
    Curious--did he give a reason why?

I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Davie View Post
    In an article on "Choosing and using blade cleaners" in Woodsmith's book Table Saw Secrets, they state the manufacturers of Simple Green warn to not use Simple Green for carbide tipped blades as it leaches the carbide from the tips. Instead use Extreme Simple Green. It and Lestoil were top picks in the article.
    Sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleGreen.com
    Simple Green has been successfully used by many woodworkers over many years as a good "spray - wipe - rinse" cleaner for saw blades. When pitch is fairly fresh (typically within a 12-hr period since deposit) it is fairly easily removed with Simple Green. Older, dried-out pitch is much more difficult to remove. We do not recommend long-term soaking of Carbide blades in Simple Green. Long-term exposure like this can possibly cause cobalt leaching that will, in turn, affect the integrity or carbide. Shorter term "spray/wipe/rinse" applications do not create that kind of problem.

It has been reported to us that long-term soaking of carbide blades covered with older, tougher buildup of pitch in strong, black coffee does a great job of removing pitch without harming the blade.
    source

Who bug up this thread? It's 6 years old and been recently beaten to death...