Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

25 Aug 2008

Good Morning,

Been up talking with my oldest son. So I thought I'd go ahead and post the Weekend Accomplishments.

Nothing really from me except that I've been in "gather up firewood" mode for the last week or so and I have more I need to get before winter time.

Family time, bass playing at church, working at the day job and a hope of actually working inside my shop in the next week or 2.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Finished my first paying WW job in 25 years. Built a cabinet for a family friend. It had to match the rest of the cabinets in the house. I just built the 8ft wide cabinet in the middle. With my real job demands on my time, it was tough fitting this project in.

Hello,
    Got a chance to exercise four of my newest additions.
    - TS55 EQ
    - PC pin nailer.
    - DeWalt 10" CMS.
    - Ridgid 3650.
    I'm making the Shop Notes folding portable work table pictured here.

(Edit - The picture can be found on shop note's site under issue 98/folding work table. Can a moderator please delete the picture? Since it's theirs and not mine, it may be a copyright violation.)

My version is a little different in that I'm using pegboard instead of 1/4" plywood for the top, leg braces and the inner part of the I-beams.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 08-25-2008 at 6:59 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

We left on Friday morning for a weekend camping in Frankenmuth, MI. Saturday we went to the 1/4 scale Junction Valley Railroad which was neat but very poorly run. No woodworking other than that I did buy an small-sized Stanley No. 18 bevel gauge at an antique mall. The bearings for my sander came on Friday so hopefully my restoration project can proceed at least a little this week.

It was a HUGE weekend in Casa de Starosta, as we were successful in getting the two year old fully potty trained!! Between the twins and Kenzie, we've been changing diapers for five straight years. It'll be nice to be done.

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Blog Entries
    I pretty much just screwed around in the shop....built 4 jigs that I thought would do a job, but... I had it all wrong. So, I'm back to square one with that little idea....but, I'll figure it out.

Finished with the last coat of lacquer on a box that I made for my sister, let that dry from Saturday to Sunday.... then I flocked the box....

Now, I have to wait a week for the lacquer to cure, then I get to wax it...and send it on to Chicagoland for my sister.

Now...it's Monday and I'm sitting in my office (always the first one here)... waiting for the troops to come!

Smile

Very restful weekend for a change...Stripped and polished the floors in my son's cafe,Routed out a sign for his cafe,Sharpened 17 of his knives, (any recommendations for a power knife sharpening sytem that won't break the bank?),Sat with my father-in-law for a spell shooting the breeze about his old cabinet making days,did some yard work,Turned a couple pens, and generally just puttered arouund the shop.Life is Good!Back to work tomorrow.

First weekend in a long time that I've actually gone into my shop with woodworking in mind. Summer tends to be my off season for woodworking and my shop is used to tend to other projects around the house. Last year, it took two weekends to clean up after the summer projects. This year was not nearly as bad. I got rid of a couple things around the shop over the summer to free up some space. It leaves me needing a place to mount my grinder, but otherwise the shop is ready to use. I have a project on the drawing board, have ordered some hardware, and have the lumber in the rack. I'm waiting on a significant part to set some dimensions and the design should come together pretty easily. Looking forward to getting back in the shop for some actual woodworking over the next few weeks.
    Jay St. Peter

Friday night we babysat our little 25 month old great-granddaughter Riley. Yup! Takes 2 pushing 60 year-olds to babysit 1 25 month old....and it sure is fun!

Saturday I turned a couple of FPP pens....went to a wedding reception and later that evening went to Lewiston's biggest annual party. Hot August Nights. Friday's version had Starship in concert. Saturday's version had Peter Noone and Herman's Hermits. Our family showed up with 3 generations.....Sharon and I, our granddaughter and Yup! Little Riley showed up and she and "papa" rocked out.....had a few beers....listened to some old music......They still put on a great show.

Sunday.....turned a couple of FPP pens...watched the Olympics.......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Finished the bathroom finally:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...765#post913765

Now to do some smaller projects and relax. Make some more storage cabinets for the garage for everything, clean up and such, and try and sell the old TS to get a new one!
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I finished shellacking this 'shaker table', or rather gave up. Most recent reminder of why I started using wipe-on varnish! Buttons are still waiting for me to plug 'em in.

Not much woodworking. I did have the sad pleasure of changing out the screens in all 40 of my home windows. What joy!

I'm still trying to prep my shop, while doing projects in the meantime. I sort of feel like I got a lot done--considering I have a 6 mo. old to boot.

- Picked up a new-to-me (actually never used) Grizz 220V power feeder for the new-to-me Jet 25CS 3HP shaper I snagged off CL last weekend. Assembled it just to make sure I had all the parts.

- Changed out the 3/4" blade on my bandsaw for a smaller one. First time I'd actually changed one, so I was surprised at how easy it was to get the new one on and realigned. Then spent 5 min. trying to fold the old blade into a tight circle for storage. This seems like a high risk activity, what with the blades and the springiness... Not the usual high risk activities in the shop.

- Picked up several hundred bd-ft of 4/4 cypress in 6" and 8" widths for some Adirondack chairs I'm building.

- Sawed templates out of 1/2" mdf for the chairs

- Concluded I needed to redo the DC in my shop; I had quickly thrown up 4" schedule 40 pipe to my JDS cyclone. Having to run some new drops for the shaper, as well as the BS and sander (I'd been wheeling them over to use the inlet for the jointer), decided it was time to redo things. I couldn't find 8" snaplock pipe and ordering joints and stuff online was just too much. But I did find 6" snaplock at the borg, and, with trips to two separate stores, managed to assemble a couple 6" wyes, an 8"/6" reducer, a bunch of 6" to 4" reducers, and a slew of 45 elbows. I'm now in the process of debating how much I let this process escalate--my basement shop wall is currently poured concrete with insulation/plastic sheet power nailed to it. No studs to attach duct hangers too... So, now I'm thinking about ripping it off, framing out the wall, reinsulating, and then drywalling it. Of course, that means running new electrical outlets, and of course I'd have to take the opportunity to run another couple 220V lines, since I've now got 5 things that want 220V... *sigh* That, and the fact that all my framing stuff is over at a friend's where we were building a gigantic playhouse... Never ends.

I spent almost the entire week-end in the shop........Cleaning, it was a mess.. I need to become a little more organized.

Cleaned up a flooded basement that resulted from a failed hot water heater.