Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charleston Double Chest Take 2

Charleston Double Chest Take 2

All,

I finally finished my Charleston Double Chest project and took a few poor pictures. You probably have seen my Dad's double chest thread here on Sawmill Creek.

The piece is on the cover of "Thomas Elfe, Cabinetmaker" by Samuel Humphrey. The book also includes measured drawings, so I can't take any credit for the design, it is a straight repro.

Materials: South American Mahogany from Irion Lumber (24" boards for sides). Bald Cypress for secondary.

Hardware: Ball and Ball pulls, Horton Brasses for locks

Dimensions: 77"H x 46"W x 24"Deep

Finish: Aniline Dye, Shellac, and Wax

This was quite an undertaking for me, started in January and after one hard week in January, finished the rest of it over mostly nights after 9pm. It was fun but sometimes grueling. I know for one drawer, the cockbeading seemed pretty easy, after 11 drawers I was pretty worn out. So it is great to have it behind me so I can work on new stuff.

I must give much credit to Don Harris, Matt Hobbs, and especially my Dad Ben Hobbs for all the work he did in stock prep and general figuring out the piece as we were all building one of these (Matt is the only one not finished). Without the teamwork of that first week I don't how much longer it would have taken to get finished.

So I would love to hear any questions or comments, or criticisms. Thanks for checking it out.

Later, Cal
    Attached Images Attached Images

Extremely well done, Calvin. I was fortunate enough to meet you dad Ben at the IWF a few days ago as you know from your cell phone call to him as he dropped by the Steel City booth. I hope you were cut from the same mold as your dad who is a very outstanding and talented man.

Regards...

Sarge..

Meeting the Old Man

Sarge,

Glad you and Dad got to meet, I would love to say I am like my Dad in many ways but I can leave that judgment to others. He certainly sets a high mark to reach in my opinion.

Thanks for the comment on the chest. Cal

Beautiful work. I am just getting started in WW, but my goal is to be able to build furniture like that after a little while. Great job.

Fantastic work Calvin.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

"He certainly sets a high mark to reach in my opinion".. Calvin

Setting high marks is a Dad's job. And life is short really... if you bother to go to the Olympics... why not "go for the Gold" in lieu of silver or bronze or also ran...

Sarge..

Very, Very well done!!! Congrats!

Beautiful piece of furniture Calvin.

Excellent job!

Blog Entries
    Absolutely georgous Calvin. Great job.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Simply fantastic. It's great to come to SMC and see this caliber of craftsmanship. Truly inspiring.

Thanks everyone

Thanks all of you for your comments. Like my Dad said in his double chest thread, a project like this is within anyone's reach, because it is only a long series of relatively simple steps that we all can do.

I just happen to have a great blessing in that I get to partner with my family and work through a project every year. It adds much more to my life than just another piece of furniture. Cal

Very inspirational

That is a very nice example of craftsmanship. I'm setting up my shop and my skill set is somewhere between bird house and spice rack. LOL! Seeing projects like this makes me anxious to get my shop interior finished. I hope to live long enough to build something as nice!

Great job!

Dave Zeigler

Wow, that is incredible! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Calvin,

Very nice work! I am familiar with the piece you did (from that book). Just curious how you do the fret or scroll work under the top (Thomas Elfe's 'signature'). Is that carved out?