Thread: Turbine or Conversion Gun

Turbine or Conversion Gun

If you had a choice between a 4-stage turbine system or a high output 2-stage 60 gal compressor and conversion gun what would it be (and why)?

Thanks,

Mike

Gun and compressor for me. More versatile.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

HAving used both - I agree with Jim. With the conversion, you give up portability but if you don't need that then you should be set for a lot of things with the compressor. I also recommend a pressure-pot setup. I was using mine last night and had some areas that were tight or needed to be sprayed upside down - really makes a difference.

I agree also... the compressor/conversion gun is the way to go. Much more versatile and having owned a good turbine already, I can tell you you won't be missing much.

I have air plumbed throughout the shop, a good oil/water separator and a filter at the gun inlet. I've never had any issues with the Devilbiss gun I use... plus the needle's and air caps are much less expensive than the turbine guns... Any turbine you buy will come with a generl purpost needle and cap... the correct ones for what you'll end up spraying will cost another 75 bucks or so each..

I also find the conversion guns easier to adjust.

The compressor has many other uses besides spraying too--running nailers, sanders, impact wrenches, filling tires, blow guns, and much more. The turbine is a single-purpose tool.

I have a 60gal compressor and love having it. But there is a drawback in that its not portable. So I ended up buying a oiled twin-hot dog compressor from Harbor Freight (another $90) for use in the garage and house and for times when I need to take one with me. That has worked out well for me and the compressor is one of those HF gems for occasional use. If you want portability, the ability to spray, and only 1 compressor, one of the ~30 gallon compressors might be a good fit. IR makes one called the Garage Mate that looks nice.

6. Turbine for me - small, light, no maintenance, no filter/separators. high output, wide fan, great finish quality....

I have an accuspray turbine that I love-but turbines create a bit of heat that can sometimes flash dry a finish. If you need portability, the turbine can be the bee's knees.

I'd love to have a big compressah in my shop-someday!

Dustin

In my experience, conversion guns do a much better job of atomization. Also, turbines heat the air and cause problems with finishes drying improperly.

I would go with the conversion gun.
    Howie.........

Thanks for all the input. I actually got lucky - I'll be able to compare both systems myself. I bought a used 4-stage turbine system on CL that had the turbine, hoses, 4-extra needles/caps, a fancy cart, pressure pot, and compressor. Ends up a guy looking at the sys. before me only wanted the cart/pot/compressor. Shot him a high price that almost paid for a used I-R 2340L5 compressor I found. I used the turbine - it shoots really nice. Only issues I have are constant vacuum cleaner noise and I can't seem to tame it down enough for a small spray (probably operator error / need to use different combo of needle & cap). I also attached my HF 43430 to the big boy and doesn't look like it will cycle anywhere near as much as my previous 20 gal oilless machine.

Mike