Thread: How close?

Question How close?

How close should the line up between the tips of the the live center & the drive center be when the tail stock is moved toward the drive center.

I brought ours together on both of our JET 1014's.

There appears to be a slight difference . . . . they do not line up perfectly.

Is it normal for the two tips to match or to be a little off.

Just a little info on what I should expect and maybe a tip on what would cause it and how to correct it . . .

Basically, how do I check to make sure there is no problem or if a problem exist how do I correct it . .

Thanks you . . .
    Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

I've only seen a few lathes where the two meet perfectly and they were all Oneways. I don't own a Oneway but own a Jet 1014VS and it's a little off but not excessive. The only way I know to adjust the two is by loosening the 4 screws that hold the headstock and rotate it slightly to line up with the tailstock. A little off is usually close enough for "government work". Remember, this is wood we're working with and not metal.

I also own a DVR XP and by adjusting the swivel headstock I can line that one up perfectly. The detent that lines up the headstock after swiveling is not that accurate but a manual adjustment works just fine. .......Ron
    A turning a day keeps the doctor away.

Not Unusual

There is often a slight misalignment. You might be able to improve the situation, but if you can't don't worry too much. Also, the further apart the centers are the less the misalignment matters.

Hutch

I have three lathes in the shop, a DVR, 3520b, and a 1220 VS Jet and all three are dead on point to point. I haven't moved the DVR head at all but if I do I have a double ended MT2 that would be used for alignment(I do use the alignment tool for the Ornamental Turner). The 3520b lines up anywhere the head is on the bed of the lathe and the Jet is pretty new and myself, I expect the points to line up. When Bob Rosand did a demo here in Erie, PA a while back we discovered that our club's Oneway was off quite a bit and used some spacers to get it back close but this will have to be addressed as to getting it back where it should be.

Blog Entries

Wink ck one way

i saw some good info on the oneway site. it was on align aux ways, it sure helped me as mine is home made. it was off i three planes''. to them for making good info avaiable johnt

Try Bill's way

The double ended#2 mt tool is the best way to find any discrepency in alignment. And it it is not terribly importantif there is a slight alignment. I have signifigant lateral movement in my HF tailstock, and stuff still comes out round.
    Bob

I packed up the head- and tailstocks on my older Rockwell 1460 to give me almost 19" inboard, and the centers lined up precisely afterwards. I don't remember having checked them before adding the extra height but I have to assume they lined up then as well.

On an expensive lathe (which that wasn't), I think I'd be a bit disappointed if they didn't line up, but I don't think a little misalignment would make all that much difference, at least not with spindle turning. If you bring up the tailstock when bowl or faceplate turning I could see how more than a fraction off could be bothersome.

It is not that important on most things, but on pens and other things with bushing it can cause some issues

Bob

A friend of mine had his headstock slightly lower than his tailstock. We loosened the headstock screws and I had some thin brass shim stock. We shimed it till it was dead on. You will also have some slight side to side movement if it is off that way.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

How is it used . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    I have three lathes in the shop, a DVR, 3520b, and a 1220 VS Jet and all three are dead on point to point. I haven't moved the DVR head at all but if I do I have a double ended MT2 that would be used for alignment(I do use the alignment tool for the Ornamental Turner). The 3520b lines up anywhere the head is on the bed of the lathe and the Jet is pretty new and myself, I expect the points to line up. When Bob Rosand did a demo here in Erie, PA a while back we discovered that our club's Oneway was off quite a bit and used some spacers to get it back close but this will have to be addressed as to getting it back where it should be.
    How do you use a doulble ended MT2 to align the head stock & tail stock?

What would the procedure be?

Thanks
    Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

With my 1624-44 I found the same thing - only it took me some time to recognize the simpler solution. With my primary interest in bowls and HF's, having the two centers exactly lined up is not generally an issue (they are even horizontally). But, after once loosening the screws in the tailstock to line up the two points, a bit of a hassle, then soon after offsetting the headstock to turn a bowl, I later found the two drive points would not line up! I then realized it would be much easier to loosen the headstock, and manually line the driving point up with my live center on the tailstock. I did turn a wood double MT2, but it's still easier if I just adjust the headstock to meet the tailstock. 'Nuff said. Mike