Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arts&Crafts Rocker in Mahogany

Very comprehensive post Tom. I will tuck this way for later. Thanks!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

They look great but you need to get them out of the shop an on the porch. That way I can drop by and sit a spell.

Sarge..

id like to get the plans. thanks

i emailed the plans. Im working on the next three right now. I batch produced the parts yet still making design changes among them. For example, instead of 3 back slats, one of the 3 will have 6 skinnier slates. Now that i got the jigs and processes down, its easier for me to make subtle changes from chair to chair to keep it fun.

nice chairs, tom.
    i made a similar chair out of qs redoak with a walnut back, and it was my hardest project to date. but turned out nice.
    i now wish i would have made 2 at the same time, because i want one for myself!

Thanks for that. I looked for qs red oak in socal but no one carried it. Even as rough sawn. I did find white oak qs so I bought some stock. After I finish chairs 4 through 6, I'll make one out of the white oak qs to enter in the county fair next year. Hopefully it will have nice joints and I can figure out how to best stain and finish it.

Its such an investment in jigs for bending and mortising......and simply the learning techniques etc its makes sense to make several. It seems to keep fun for me as I make each new chair a little different, for example one of the next batch will have 6 narrower slats vs 3 wide, different woods. Another difference on this next batch is Im using 6/4 stock to make the legs from solid so I dont have to glue 4/4 together. Im also trying to be careful with wood selection and grain matching. For the arms on this batch, Im book matching the grain from the same 6/4 stock. I like the idea of mixing species as you have in some way, maybe even as inlay. On this current lot, the joints are tigher fitting as Im taking the time during dry fit to clean up the fit.

My master plan is to morph into a Maloof style chair and eventually make a complete arts and crafts dining set with table, chairs and dish cabinet. My neighbor loves the rocker but has back problems and I might be try something with a inflatable upholstered lumbar support.