Thread: finishing VG fir doors

finishing VG fir doors

Hi all

I'm doing an addition on my house, and would like to match the existing doors in the house. I found the same VG fir doors, that were used when my house was built in 1989, but they come unfinished.

It doesn't look like a poly finish to me, I'd guess it was some sort of tinted lacquer but really don't know.

Anyone want to venture a guess on how best to match this? I'll pick up some VG fir from the lumber yard to try different finishes.

I don't have spray gear, so I'd rather do some sort of brush/wipe on finish.

Follow the link below to see an existing door.

http://anfang.homelinux.net/woodwork/door.jpg

Thanks

Matt

Matt,
    I've got the same doors in my house. I brushed on several coats of satin Varathane and sanded down to a 400 grit finish with an RO. Hard to say for sure from pictures on the computer, but I'd say the coloration is about the same as yours.

Bruce

Can you tell me how long it took the doors to reach that warm red color? I was playing around with some scraps of VG fir, and they don't start out that color at all.

I'm worried that if I come close to the color now, they will end up darkening lots over time.

thanks

Matt

Sorry I didn't answer back sooner, guess I don't get on the computer enough.

I really don't remember the color changing over time but of course if it changed slowly, I'd never notice it. I don't notice any color difference between doors though, and they were all finished at different times, maybe 6 or 8 months between newest and oldest.

Hi bruce i am looking at a finish for my vg fir doors.I like the look of the doors in the post.You mentioned the varathane sanded to 400.What is ro?Here is a picture of a door after the paint was removed.What do you think.Will the door turn in time?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: fir doors

For paint-stripped or new fir doors, go down to the lumber yard and pick up a couple of fir boards. Sand them smooth, like down to a 150 grit, and use them for experimentation. Any kind of sealer will cause fir to change color -- become more "golden". We did a kitchen last year using VG fir for the cabinets. We used a Varathane brand Golden Pecan stain and on top of that put four coats of Rockler polyurethane gel sealer. We use the gel because it is very easy to work and does not drip. We sand it lightly (600) between coats on only rub off only the last coat.

The key here is experimentation on your work board. Don't start off by staining your doors.

Hi stan would you happen to have any pictures of the finished kitchen.That is good advise.I did pick up some dougfir from lowes.The door were made in the 1950s.And the grain lines are very close.I dont think i am getting a accurite sample match i may try a inside closet door.I have one door on hand the others are coming sept first week.I have some time.

[IMG]file:///F:/WebSitePhotos/Shaker%20Fir%20Kitchen/FirKit13.JPG[/IMG][IMG]file:///F:/WebSitePhotos/Shaker%20Fir%20Kitchen/FirKit13.JPG[/IMG]The simplest thing is for you to go out to my web site: urbashome.com and click on "Some Examples Of our Work", then "Tight-Grain Fir Shaker Style Kitchen". You'll seel quite a few examples of VG fir with the stain and sealer I described.

Hi stan thanks for the last post.I stained the door and it looks great.I would like to stain the mantle around the fire place the same color.What do you think about using the same top coat. Will it be okay around a little heat?

Off the top I'd say no problem. Primarily the heat you would get from a fireplace is radiated straight out from the fire, and the mantle is not in that path. You don't have hot air coming out or you would get smoke, too. Unless you forget to close the damper. But to be honest I've never tried it there. I would recommend you contact the supplier for those type questions. But again, I don't think it would be a problem.