Thread: BEALL Collet Chuck

Smile BEALL Collet Chuck

I was looking at a BEALL Collet Chuck. I now know that I can use the 1/4" Collet to hold a pen turning mandrel, but are there any other practical uses for the other size collats.

Not sure whether I should get the BEALL Collet Chuck with only the 1/4" Collet or get it with the set . . .

Thanks
    Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

I just got the set a little over a month ago. I have used all but one of the collets that came with it. I find myself using it more all the time and have been thinking of getting the big set of collets people get off of e-bay. For instance, I made some cartridge pens (and by the way most my lathe work is for pens). I made a wood collet that fit in the 3/4" collet to hold the cartridge while I drilled the primer end (Wood won't scratch up the casing). I than used the 5/8" collet to hold the jam chuck I made to put the casing on to polish it after I soldered the tube in. I really think is you just buy one collet your are going to be buying other one at a time until you have them all anyway. That my opinion. One thing for sure, I bet you are never sorry you bought that chuck! I absolute love mine!
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 08-26-2008 at 6:56 PM.

Steven:
    I have the PSI collet chuck and I also love it. I use shop made mandrels to make duck calls, wine bottle stoppers, or closed end pens. It has changed the way I turn. I think you will really enjoy the Beall.