Thread: Nashville, TN?!

Nashville, TN?!

I just moved to the Bellevue area in Nashville.

A few questions. Are there any shops around here that let you work in them for a small fee or something like that? I read awhile back about some cities that had something like that if I remember correctly.

What are good places to buy lumber around here. After living in my Fraternity house for 5 years, the lack of furniture that I own is quite obvious. I am looking to make a whole slew of things but have no idea where to shop around here.

Any help would be awesome thanks in advance!

Paul,
    Check with some of the Community Colleges in the Nashville area to see if they have woodworking classes. Often times if you enroll in a class you can use the shop when a class is not in session.
    Another resource may be the Woodcraft store in Franklin, maybe some of those guys know of something.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

A pretty good source for cabinet plywood and stock is Nashville Plywood on Charlotte .

4. Quote Originally Posted by Michael N Taylor View Post
    A pretty good source for cabinet plywood and stock is Nashville Plywood on Charlotte .
    Glad you posted that. I just got into woodworking back in May and I'm looking for a lumber source. I saw their page through a google search and was considering using them. I plan on redoing our entire kitchen this fall/winter, but wasn't sure where to get good quality 1 side pre-finished maple sheets (other side is unfinished for stain) for the boxes. I called and they seemed to have decent prices. Look forward to using them.
    Last edited by Jeremy Thompson; 08-27-2008 at 9:16 PM.

I use Nashville Plywood also. I talked to my buddy who works at a very high end cabinet shop here and he said they use Nashville Plywood or some place he thinks is in Dickson.. I can't recall the name right now. For rough lumber, there are some decent sawmills in the area, but they are hard to find, seeing as most aren't listed in the yellow pages and of course none on the internet... real back woods kinda places. I got white oak, rough, at about .80/BF from one of them last year.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mims View Post
    I use Nashville Plywood also. I talked to my buddy who works at a very high end cabinet shop here and he said they use Nashville Plywood or some place he thinks is in Dickson.. I can't recall the name right now. For rough lumber, there are some decent sawmills in the area, but they are hard to find, seeing as most aren't listed in the yellow pages and of course none on the internet... real back woods kinda places. I got white oak, rough, at about .80/BF from one of them last year.
    Share if you can find out names and addresses Thanks for sharing though!

You could also find a new "buddy" in the area who will let you use his stuff. Beer and Pizza seems to work in most instances!

on craigslist a couple weeks ago there was a post about possibly opening a Techshop in Nashville. I don't know the status on that. google Techshop to see what I'm talking about.

Middle Tennessee Lumber is in Dickson not far off of I 40 and is a great place to get solid wood most of it is s2s. Nashville plywood is the best place to buy plywood in the area that I have found. I don't know about rental shop space in the area but I am sure that the folks at the woodcraft in Franklin might know if there was such a thing. And welcome to the area.

Good thread.

I have been looking for a quality source since I moved here a year ago.

As far as good classes, check out the Appalachian Center for Craft, a branch of Tenn.Tech.U.

http://www.tntech.edu/craftcenter/index.html

You guys as usual are awesome. I will have some driving to do this weekend! I will have to check out all these places.

I will report back on what I can find and if I find any other information.
    Graphic Designer for Col. Littleton.

The guys at the Franklin Woodcraft are pretty familiar with the area and I am sure could give you some recommendations.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

oh, forgot to mention Summer's Lumber. they may have something you are looking for. seemed to recall them having a decent hardwood selection last time I was there.. it's over off of I-24 at OHB in the industrial area.

Mt. Juliet, TN/ on the road full time in 38' Fleetwood Revolution Motor Home

Smile

Nashville Plywood has S3S hardwood, it is more expensive but sometimes you don't have the tools or time to deminsion your own, it is around 7/8" thick so if you need 3/4" you will need a plainer. I purchased all the wood for my kitchen from them, Soft maple, Hard Maple and Maple ply.