Thread: Excel Worksheet Help!

Excel Worksheet Help!

Anybody have a good handle on writing macros and formulas with Microsoft Excel? I'm trying to put together a worksheet to give me build info and cut lengths for drawer/door fronts, boxes, etc. for cabinets. I thought it should be easy but I haven't used Excel in almost five years (since I retired) and I've forgoten a whole lot!!

I want to be able to hide info in the background, get ride of calculation that are not useful, and use conditional formating to eliminate negative numbers and other junk etc.

Take a look. Be nice!!

Have a great day!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I bought this cd from Rockler and it works great, may want to save the headache of using Excel.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11063&filter=cd

I have an Excell sheet already prepared that does everything from drawers to the full cabinets unless you just want to start from scratch. PM me your email address and I would be happy to share since it was shared with me originally.

I had to do a search since I couldn't remember where I originally got it. It was in the old Badger Pond archives and developed by Jay Heil. You can do a search by the authors name and it will take you to "Cabinet Design Program". Now you don't need a PM.

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/bpindex2.shtml
    Last edited by Michael McCoy; 08-27-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks very much for the info I sure appreciate the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Illi View Post
    I want to be able to hide info in the background, get ride of calculation that are not useful, and use conditional formating to eliminate negative numbers and other junk etc.
    Hiding cells is pretty easy, although you seem to be able only to hide columns--select column letter, right click, "hide column."

Not sure you can use conditional formatting to get rid of stuff, but you could make it less obvious. Select cell, Format->Conditional Formatting... For a condition, try cell value <=0 then for format, set text color to white (or whatever the background color of the cell is...). Its still there, you just won't really see it as a distraction.

I had a problem with an excel formula a while back and posted it on the Mr. Excel website. They solved it and helped me out. Try them and see if you can get someone to give you a heads up on what to do.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Hiding individual cells is done in the Cell Formatting menu. It is in the Cell Protection category, and takes effect when Worksheet Protection is activated...