Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ingersoll-Rand Compressor

Ingersoll-Rand Compressor

My little Craftsman 8 gallon compressor just cannot keep up when I am spraying lacquer. So I was thinking about getting a larger compressor. I know many of you have the huge IR 60 and 80 gallon units from IR, but does anyone have experience with this unit. It would sure fit nicely in my workshop, be mobile if I needed it to, and most importantly budget would allow it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Nice unit but about as much CFM as small 110v Sears unit; not really enough to decently support a conversion HVLP sprayer or air tools; try the next two sizes up ($799 and $999), they have fairly decent CFM numbers (app. 10 and 15 respectively).
    Last edited by Steven Wilson; 05-04-2004 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
    Nice unit but about as much CFM as a Sears unit; not really enough to decently support a conversion HVLP sprayer or air tools; try the next two sizes up ($799 and $999), they have fairly decent CFM numbers (app. 10 and 15 respectively).
    I agree. I have a Sears vertical unit (30 gal I think) and it just can't keep up with a conversion HVLP. When I replace the tank, it will be 60 gallons +. You need the volume to keep wp with the gun.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

The cost difference between the GarageMate (what you show) and the 60 gallon IR unit I bought was about $50 when I caught a sale at Tractor Supply. That said, I know a fellow in California who owns the GarageMate and speaks highly of it. In fact, I almost bought one a couple of years ago when HD stopped selling IR, but someone beat me to the floor unit by about 5 minutes...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Sears professional and have been very happy with it. I use alot of air tools and do paint spraying for automobiles. I was able to get it on sale for $500 several years ago. Here is a link to look at the statistics.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Basically 17.4 SCFM at 100 psi and 16.9 SCFM at 175 psi. 7hp 80 gallon tank, 2 stage compressor, splash lubrication.

Check Northern Tool

I bought my IR 5HP, 60 gal, 2 stage compressor through Northern Tool for $999 delivered including shipping. It is a REAL 5 HP, not the peak baloney stuff you see at Sears, and the Borg. It is not a small unit, and I would recommend placing it in a separate room if possible. It is noisy, but after all, IR is primarily an industrial supplier.

That said, just go to the Northern Tool website and search away. BTW, IR says to not use copper pipe with soldered connections. A legal CYA if you ask me. Copper piping is way stronger than anything your compressor can put to it.

Lastly, don't get fooled by the 2 cylinder single stage units. There are some brands that are two cylinder, but are only single stage. If you opt for a 2 cyl. unit make sure it is a 2 stage unit.
    Best Regards, Ken

The 60 Gallon IR unit I bought on sale from Tractor Supply was $499. It's a single stage unit with 11 SCFM at 90 PSI. (Probably an accurate rating, too...)
    --

Waymon, I have the IR 60 gallon model (about a month or two old), having replaced an old CH model. This is a twin cylinder, single stage compressor and puts out 11 scfm at 90 psi. I ran my sand blaster at 90 psi through 100 pounds of sand (about 35 minutes) and the pressure never dropped below 90 (that's where it seems to be able to hold it while running). It's 100% continuous duty cycle rated which means you can run it and run it. It'll work for you and work for you and you'll be hard pressed to exceed it's capability. I got mine for just over $500 from Northern (free delivery). I highly recommend this unit.

As far as noise you got my curiosity going so I checked...this is almost the loudest piece of equipment I have. Here are some sound measurements. All taken with a slow response meter taken right in front of the machine (where I would stand) under no load:

Jet DC-1100 dust collector: 82 dB
    Jet JTAS-10XL 10" table saw: 84 dB
    Jet JJ6CS 6" jointer: 88 dB
    Jet JWBS14 14" bandsaw: 90 dB
    IR SS3L3 compressor: 92 dB, goes down to 84 dB at 6 feet.
    Excel 10" miter saw: 105 dB

For all - take these measurements to heart (or your ears). All are over the 80 dB threshold of where hearing protection should be worn.

Ken, the reason IR does not recommend soldered copper pipes is due to possible scaling that can form inside the copper while soldering. This scale can break lose and clog a fitting. In your tap water, it usually will find it's way through, though may clog the fittings on your sink faucets. If you inert the pipe prior to soldering you can prevent this.

Anyway, that's more information than I planned on typing...hope it helps and didn't overwhelm.

I agree with the positive comments on the 60gal IR priced from $499-599, depending on whether it's on sale. That's what we've got for spraying at the mesquite outfit, and a couple summers ago I was spraying several hours a two or three days a week.

I'm not sure it's recommended for air tools, but we've also used it for that a few times.

KC

Waymon, if you're just getting this for spraying, why wouldn't you consider spending the same money (or less if you go with the bigger models recommended) on an HVLP system? I've been spraying with a pancake compressior, of all things, and I could really use a bigger compressor but only for spraying. That's why I'm thinking about just getting a matched system and be done with it. My .02 anyway. Probably not even worth that...

Jason

Doc,
    I'd be interested to see what that sound meter would measure a Craftsman shop vac at!

Craig
    Sebastopol,ca

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele

Ken, the reason IR does not recommend soldered copper pipes is due to possible scaling that can form inside the copper while soldering. This scale can break lose and clog a fitting. In your tap water, it usually will find it's way through, though may clog the fittings on your sink faucets. If you inert the pipe prior to soldering you can prevent this.
    Hi Don, thanks for the new insight. I would never have figured that, and I am not sure the I have seen the scaling happen. I thought the warning was there because they knew that some people didn't know how to solder and that a joint might come apart in use.

I am not sure what you mean by "inert" the pipe. I have always used the stiff wire brushes to clean the inside and outside of the all areas where the solder will flow, and I use a zinc chloride liquid flux on all cleaned surfaces. I also use a good 54-lead/45-tin/1-silver solder. If I am leaving something out, please do educate me.

For those readers who feel the urge to bloviate about the perils of lead solder, I direct your attention to the mistletoe attached to my shirt tail.
    Best Regards, Ken

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The 60 Gallon IR unit I bought on sale from Tractor Supply was $499. It's a single stage unit with 11 SCFM at 90 PSI. (Probably an accurate rating, too...)
    Jim, what is the amp draw on your IR? It is 5 hp correct?<O</O

I've lusted after that one but I'm becoming AMP challenged. <O</O
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Jim, what is the amp draw on your IR? It is 5 hp correct?<O</O
    It's 3hp "running" with a "peak" of 7hp. So it's 3hp. Unfortunately, the motor plate is next to a wall and the compressor is bolted to the floor so I can't see the amperage draw. I have it on a dedicated 20amp circuit--'cause I can.

Perhaps Don can look at his to get the amperage on the motor to give you an accurate figure...
    --

Craig, I just happen to have a 5 gallon shop-vac...just checked it out...HOLY COW BATMAN 123 dB that's double hearing protection country.

Ken, I've personally never seen the scaling either. That's just the reason I've been told. As for inerting it, that's filling the piping with an inert gas (typically nitrogen). This stops the scaling (which is a form of oxidation) from occuring. BTW, doesn't that mistletoe making sitting a little painful

Bruce, it's 240 volts / 15 amps and, like Jim, I have mine on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.