Thread: Sound of unisaw bearings

Sound of unisaw bearings

I have a 1979 unisaw barely used. The table off. Belts off. Free spinning. I listen to the bearings as I gently spin the arbor shaft. I hear the sound of unlubricated bearings. Are these sealed bearings or open ones that are only guarded from dust by a spacer?

Quote Originally Posted by john fier View Post
    I have a 1979 unisaw barely used. The table off. Belts off. Free spinning. I listen to the bearings as I gently spin the arbor shaft. I hear the sound of unlubricated bearings. Are these sealed bearings or open ones that are only guarded from dust by a spacer?

This web site will have everything you need
    http://www.sawcenter.com/index.html

They are sealed cartridge bearings.

Sawcenter does have everything, but there are other options as well that are likely less expensive. Accurate Bearing (ask for Lynn) also carries appropriate bearings. There are a few other bearing vendors, but I can't remember their names at the moment.

sound of bearings

Thank you for your replies. I purchased 2 6203zz Nachi (Japanese) bearings for $5.62 each. Whoever set the preload on the bearings pushed them against the radial and created additional pressure against the side of the ball, thus the dry sound of the bearing. I saw $40.00 bearings that would have fit this arbor. Ceramic and better spherical balls and finish. I am looking to upgrade the belt and insulate the inside of the saw with sound deadening material.

sound of bearings

Thank you for your replies. I purchased 2 6203zz Nachi (Japanese) bearings for $5.62 each. Whoever set the preload on the bearings pushed them against the radial and created additional pressure against the side of the ball, thus the dry sound of the bearing. I saw $40.00 bearings that would have fit this arbor. Ceramic and better spherical balls and finish. I am looking to upgrade the belts and insulate the inside of the saw with sound deadening material.

Forget listening. Bearings are cheap, and bad ones don't always make noise. For a TS, good quality garden variety ABEC 1 bearings will be indistinguishable in use from more expensive options.

Pete

6203 bearings shouldn't have any so called preload. They're designed for a radial load, not axial, could this be your problem?

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    6203 bearings shouldn't have any so called preload. They're designed for a radial load, not axial, could this be your problem?
    Jerry
    Actually, they do need a preload, though it's small in this case. That's one of the reasons for the wavy spring pressing on the outer race. The goal is to make the balls roll rather than skid. The other reason for the spring is to take up axial play while having enough give to account for thermal expansion and contraction.

Now, if someone fiddled with the assembly such that large loads were placed on the races or the cage was prevented from moving (for example, by adding a washer or a jam nut of the wrong size), that would likely cause problems.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by john fier View Post
    In my experience sealed bearings eventually dry out. Many of them here in my AZ shop have dried out...joe