Thread: Good table saw opportunity...should I take it?

Good table saw opportunity...should I take it?

Hello all,

At the local Sears Hardware, they have the floor model of the Craftsman Professional table saw on closeout from $1100 to $550. It has the Biesemeyer fence system. Is this saw worth it for this money? Thanks for any help you can give.

Blog Entries
    If you mean the 22124, it is a nice hybrid machine. Mine has done above and beyond what the specs say it should for a couple years now.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If its the model with the 1 3/4hp motor, I'd say "no."

If its the model with the 220v 3hp motor, I'd say "now."

Eric

Edit -- Is this the one you mean?
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; 08-28-2008 at 3:22 PM.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Thumbs up

Is that the "zipcode" saw (model 22124)?
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ame=Table+Saws

I've heard good things about it. From my understanding, it's the same as the Steel City Tool Works. Considering my 10" Delta contractor saw with the base fence is currently selling for more than that, I'd say that's a great deal.

You may never see a saw of this caliber at that price again. Definately go for it and hope it's not already gone.

If it's the 22124, $550 is one of the better prices I've ever seen on it. It's also a very nice hybrid. It's made by Orion and is very similar to the Steel City 1-3/4hp hybrid. I sold my 22124 after 3 years for a Shop Fox 3hp cabinet saw, but I really liked the 22124. It never struggled much to cut even 3" hard maple, it was very stable, and had a terrific fence. I like the Shop Fox alot too, but there are still aspects of the 22124 that I miss...like the 44" cast iron surface, and the 40" rip with the rails slid to the right. Sounds like a buy to me!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

If it's the 22124, I'd RUN back to the store and buy it... that is a extreme bargain on that saw. Even on sale you rarely see them under $950 and it's a very very good saw. I've had one for several years and have tried much more expensive saws and just don't see where there's enough difference to justify another 5-$600 for a Uni or equivilant.

I mostly use nothing except hardwoods on mine and I've never had any issues with the power... they do use a ribbed flat belt which is much better than any v-belt or the like for transferring power to the arbor.. maybe the reason they work so well with the 1 3/4HP motor.

I wired mine for 220. Comes up to speed instantly.