Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Work we produce

i price it into the component and not individually but at this point i can design faster than i used to so about 100 a door with out finishing or door cost, 3d sign people get 100 a square foot for machining

jim

I can't see only charging $100/per door for this kind of work. The machine time alone at $100/hr puts it near $600. I either have to price it high, or find a way to get it to machine faster.

A similar handcarved door panel from Enkeboll costs at least $200, and that doesn't include shipping, machining and assembling door parts, or finishing.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 09-02-2009 at 12:46 PM.

at 5+ hour machining i can see that ! i have some grape columns that when i started this took 30 hours, now i use rest machining and do them in 4 at 84" x 8" i get 600 a panel, i know nothing of art cam as i use aspire, when you ran the panel did you run it twice or use rest tool pathing, it is an extremly beautiful door though!!

I have yet to test or use the "machine rest" in ArtCAM.

I used 2 tools both set on raster style.

I need to try the "machine rest" on my test piece to see if I can reduce the time and still retain the details.

your file is excellent but it will reduce tool time! it is a bit of craftmanship but the overlay of the leaf on the frame is a time killer, kinda like whatever they are willing to pay for!

jim

I really should give credit for part of the design. I adapted the geometric part from one of Wayne Barton's books on chip carving. However, the leaf and acorn design is entirely my own.

I'll be trying to reduce machine time by doing some time/machining studies on a small portion of this thing. Perhaps I can even get this into the affordable range.

i have a large library of 3d components and a good many vector files as well as clip art, yesterday your door looked so interesting i am gonna run one in a few, so far i am under two hours and the most of that is the texture, on a small run somtines it is quicker to do that with some old tim hand techniques
    Attached Images Attached Images

saw this site today and he is pricing online
    http://www.threegryphons.com/catalogue.htm

jim

James,

I'm just wondering if you ran that door panel, and what kind of time you ran into?

i prepped the wood and got busy on a bunch of other stuff, i will see if i can run it over the weekend. i have a bed to build and may incorporate some of this type panel into it

jim

Tables

This is what I was able to accomplish this week. It has been difficult to find shop time due to the workload from school, and all the usual weekend family commitments.
    The End table top is oak with an orange stain; the chicken outline fill is a black stain. The legs are popular, and painted with milk paint. Everything got two coats of water-based poly.
    The Aztec top is made from 1x4’s of popular glued up. it is stained with a water based blue and highlighted with oil based copper paint. Finished with two coats of water-based poly. The legs on the Aztec top came from a garage sale ($7)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

james!! that is cool!!

jim

Jim and James.. Rulz the world

some of the show and tell of aspire

this work was shown at the aspire gathering in columbia SC this weekend, also we will see more rotary axis work as it was shown at this meeting using the indexer wizard program by rich goldner, vectric has also announced they will add it to the aspire and vcarve program.

jim

Thats some beautiful work. I starting to feel I've bitten off more than I can handle. I recently purchased a CW machine but have no graphics type expierence or software. I guess I might want to consider a course or two or bunches!