Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye Protection

Eye Protection

The thread about Shop Noise Levels naturally got me thinking about eye protection.

What does everyone use? What do you like or not like?

I have to be honest: I find myself protecting my ears more than my eyes! I really need to improve this by finding some comfortable eye protection that sits well with my hearing protection.

Funny, but I find I can concentrate more on my ww'ing with the hearing protection. All that noise is very distracting to me.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thumbs up

Chris,

My employeer furnishes me with prescription safety glasses. I wear these when w/w plus a full face shield if I think the job might "throw" things.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I wear these goggles from Woodcraft that have foam around them. It get's complicated when I'm wearing my dust mask, Eye Goggles and hearing protection. There is a certain order to putting it all on and off and I wish I could come up with an easier setup. It get's warm too, but the goggles have not fogged up on me yet. I have had many times where big chips have bounced off these goggles in the middle of a cut and I was thankful I was wearing them.

My safety goal is to never let my wife see me using a machine without the goggles and ear protection on. I also don't run tools without the dust collection running. May you have Happy, Safe and I hope comfortable woodworking for may years! Oh, and if you find a better setup than mine, let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For every 99 people that can handle adversity there is only one that can handle prosperity. Lord let me be that man!

I always use safety glasses when Im working with my tools. i had a cunk of wood jump up and smash one pair of glasses already. If I werent wearing them, I would propably be blind in one eye. I use glasses made by Klein tool.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I have a pair of perscription safetyglasses which are always used in the shop. I also use a full face shield if I'm grinding, buffing, or working at the lathe.

As for hearing, I picked up a tip from Kelly Mahler and that is to use ear plugs that hang on your neck, that way they are always ready when you need them. I find I use hearing protection much more since I started wearing Rad Bands in the shop (always have them around my neck and ready to use), more comfortable and convienient that the Peltors I use when things get real loud. Check out item B in the attached picture (from Woodcraft).

I wear a full face shield - have several of them around the shop. For sound, if it's going to be anything loud, I put on full coverage ear muffs.

I have several types of glasses that I wear. They are all the same (Tasco Venture II), just different tinting on the lens. I have clear for in the shop, smoke for outside, and amber for shooting. They run about $5.00 a set.

I also have several full face shields that I wear when working with anything that may throw big stuff back at me. I also have a helmet type shield for sand blasting and anther full face shield for welding.

So, yes, I have a lot of different types, but all for specific tasks. Like my hearing, I take protecting my eyesight very seriously.

There are 3 important considerations for eye protection:

- They should conform to ANSI standards for protection. That means they should have at least a Z-87 rating (the newest rating is Z-87.1). It'll be printed somewhere on the glasses. And yes, you can buy "safety glasses" which do not meet this requirement.

- If tinted for outdoor use, they should offer UV protection. The tinting causes your pupils to dilate. Without the protection, the UV can cause retinal damage. All of my Tasco glasses have UV protection.

- Also, they should wrap around the eyes to provide side protection from anything that may bounce or come in at an angle.

Prescription eyewear typically does not meet impact standards. You can order lenses specifically for this and then get some snap-on side shields that you can put on while in the shop, but take off for everyday wear.

Here's a link to the tasco glasses (no affiliation, just a happy customer):
    http://www.tasco-safety.com/sglasses...y-glasses.html

Good ol' Z87 approved safety glasses.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

All you have to do is to order poly-carbonate lens when you visit you ophthalmologist. I get the poly-carb with additional scratch resistant coating, and UV filter. You can't see the UV filter or the scratch coating.
    Best Regards, Ken

Although I no longer need glasses due to LASIK in early 2003, like most folks, I need a "little help" with reading, including in the shop. At first, I tried some basic $20 safety glasses with reading correction, but found that the magnification area was too small for comfortable use. Late last year I found a similar, but better solution for $30 from Duluth Trading...wire-rim safety specs with reading correction and "side wings" that I find comfortable to wear and effective for both safety and close work correction. They go on first thing and don't come off until the end of the day unless I'm going to be away from the shop for a period of time. I also wear them out of the shop for "work around the house" when appropriate and have a wrap-around pair of safety sunglasses (no reading correction) for yard work when it's bright.

The bottom line is that I use eye protection even more than hearing protection...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just recently got contact lenses, always wore prescription safety glasses before. So now I'm even more concerned with getting something in my eyes. I bought a pair of wrap around safety glasses (lexan lenses I believe) from our local safety supply house for about $7...I don't do hardly anything in the shop without them...or out of the shop for that matter...mowing the grass..weed-whipping, etc....

For my eyes, I wear ASNI-spec safety glasses with glass lenses. The advantage of glass lenses is that they don't attract sawdust like plastic ones do -- static electricity or something -- and they are much more skratch-resistant. I had to go to an opthalmologist to get the glass lenses instead of buying off-the-shelf safety glasses. One more good thing about this approach is that I got frames that really fit my head, instead the one-size-doesn't-fit-all solution.
    When fully suited-up, I'm wearing safety glasses, respirator, and big yellow earmuffs. Dogs run in terror.

Attached is a picture showing what I wear. As you can see, wearing it does not make me happy.

I wear glasses that have plastic lenses. I have tired to use those "wrap around" safety glasses but have found they fog up too easily. I also sweat profusely and occasionally I have to take my glasses off as well - I see close thing fine. This is not a safe practice but I just haven't found anything that works with someone who seats so bad. [Thank goodness for TopCoat! ]
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Since I was 8, I have been wearing glasses

For me, I don't have much choice about wearing or not wearing glasses as I can't see without them. I have the poly-carbonate lenses and like them - saved my eyes on more than a few occasions.

Oddly enough, while I have spent the vast majority of my adult life in a shop of one type or another, I have never had a close call in the shop. For me, it seems I get hit in the eyes (glasses) in the oddest of places. Last instance was when I was driving down the road with my window open. A truck or car kicked up a stone, which made it through my window (which was open about 3 inches), hit my left eyeglass lense with enough force to bend the nose rest piece, then proceeded to bounce around in the car for a bit. Don't know if I would have lost my eye or not, but I know it would have hurt a lot more without the glasses on.

I don't really care for the coatings they put on them - they always seem to start coming off leaving strange and annoying swirl marks on the lenses.

As norm say's, "there is no more important safety rule that to wear these, safety glasses"