Thread: Experience with JDS 2HP Cyclone

Experience with JDS 2HP Cyclone

I'm in the market for a 'real' DC for a home shop. I am attracted to the JDS 2HP Cyclone 2100-CK (love the form factor vs. the Oneidas or Clearvue). Cant seem to find any user feedback or reviews. I'm also trying to locate the fan curve to make sure I can get sufficient flow at my tools. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?Ca...ction=VIEWCATS.

My questions are: How is it designed on the inside? Does the barrel that they call the cyclone just hide the cone? Is there a cone? Does it have the proper ratio in the cone to truely separate the fine dust from the air? After all, there is a reason the the Oneida, Clear Vue, and even the Grizzly and PSI units are the size that they are. Now you can miniturize the proper cone ratio to get a smaller unit that works as it should, see the Oneida Dust Deputy and the Clear Vue Mini as proof. For that matter, Clear Vue came out with a smaller unit that should fit under a 8' ceiling easier. (CV1400) But I would be concerned if this didn't have the proper ratio. Especially since it isn't evident to the naked eye that there even is a cone.
    It may be a wonderful unit, and I don't mean to cast a shadow on it. Just questions I would want to get answered. I'd hate for you to get something that doesn't work like you want it to.
    Oh, and welcome to the Creek!! You'll find this is a great place to bounce ideas off other noggins, and get some really helpful information. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 08-30-2008 at 7:10 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    My questions are: How is it designed on the inside? Does the barrel that they call the cyclone just hide the cone? Is there a cone? Does it have the proper ratio in the cone to truely separate the fine dust from the air? After all, there is a reason the the Oneida, Clear Vue, and even the Grizzly and PSI units are the size that they are. Now you can miniturize the proper cone ratio to get a smaller unit that works as it should, see the Oneida Dust Deputy and the Clear Vue Mini as proof. For that matter, Clear Vue came out with a smaller unit that should fit under a 8' ceiling easier. (CV1400) But I would be concerned if this didn't have the proper ratio. Especially since it isn't evident to the naked eye that there even is a cone.
    It may be a wonderful unit, and I don't mean to cast a shadow on it. Just questions I would want to get answered. I'd hate for you to get something that doesn't work like you want it to.
    Oh, and welcome to the Creek!! You'll find this is a great place to bounce ideas off other noggins, and get some really helpful information. Jim.
    I agree with everything Jim said. When I looked at the JDS unit, my first thought was "that isn't a cyclone". It may be a good dc though.
    Last edited by David Freed; 08-30-2008 at 7:44 PM.

I'd be rather suspicious about the efficiency of the primary 'cyclone' section. If a company needs to put a motor on their filter unit to clean it every time the system is cycled on and off, then lots of finer particulates must be getting through to the filter. I have a ClearVue CV1800 that I am installing and all of the ones I have seen remove such a high percentage of all sizes of sawdust in the cyclone that the filter sees very little dust in the units exhaust stream.

I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

I recently ordered a cyclone and briefly considered the JDS units. I was turned away from them due to:

-filter area is significantly smaller than the competition, this combined with a smaller cyclone leaves me thinking "actual" performance will be a lot lower than stated

-class "E" motor instead of "F"

-I could not find fan curves or many reviews

-price was not attractive

Now your space requirements may trump these issues. And the unit probably will work, but take a good look at the other two manufacturers you listed, they each have lots of happy customers.

Thanks Rob (et al)...I sure wish I could find someone who's actually purchased the newer JDS 2100-CK. The questions folks raise are spot-on. However, in my experience, the best feedback on these issues is from actual users who took the plunge.

Any other forums you might suggest where I might find an existing user?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben R Hogan View Post
    Thanks Rob (et al)...I sure wish I could find someone who's actually purchased the newer JDS 2100-CK. The questions folks raise are spot-on. However, in my experience, the best feedback on these issues is from actual users who took the plunge.

Any other forums you might suggest where I might find an existing user?
    Call JDS on Tuesday and ask them for customer references. Tell them you haven't had any luck finding any online.

I believe I saw these units in a woodcraft catalog? If you have a local store, they may be able to help.

Good Luck.

Just in case anyone wants to see these in the future JDS sent me the fan curves for the new 2hp and 3hp cyclones. I'll post feedback I get from JDS and customers on some of the key questions above
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought a JDS Dust Force earlier this year. Before I made my purchase I called JDS customer service and spoke to a guy named Johnny. He was very knowledgeable of their product and very helpful. He even steered me in the right direction for the best deal. I would bet that he is just as knowledgeable on their Cyclone product. 800-480-7269

I really like the form factor on these DCs. also. I called JDS and spoke with someone (don't remember the name). I asked about cyclone efficiency. Here is what they told me:
    - 2100CK: 95%
    - 3100CK: 98.5%

Of course, I have no idea ow this relates to anyone else in the industry, but the 98.5% doesn't sound too bad.