Thread: Shopsmith Mark V Question.....

Question Shopsmith Mark V Question.....

For all of you Shopsmith owners out there.....

Can you have a scroll saw and a belt sander (or strip sander) mounted to each end of the unit, running simultaneously? My wife and I make wooden keychains and wooden nameplates on-site at the shows and I am looking at a scroll saw, belt sander, and drill press. If I could combine two tools together, it would save me booth space.

Inquiring minds want to know....

Jim.

P.S. I have also posted this on the Shopsmith forum, so if any of you owners see my posting there, sorry about the double posts....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pemberton View Post
    For all of you Shopsmith owners out there.....

Can you have a scroll saw and a belt sander (or strip sander) mounted to each end of the unit, running simultaneously? My wife and I make wooden keychains and wooden nameplates on-site at the shows and I am looking at a scroll saw, belt sander, and drill press. If I could combine two tools together, it would save me booth space.

Inquiring minds want to know....

Jim.

P.S. I have also posted this on the Shopsmith forum, so if any of you owners see my posting there, sorry about the double posts....
    You will get what you need over at Shopsmith but.........
    First off I would guess each would run at a different speed. Also the head stock would be needed to power the tools. If you have the headstock to the left powering the saw, the headstock will not reach to the right to power the sander. Also I would guess the rotation of the sanding belt would be backwards mounted to the other end.

Thanks for the answer. That is what I remembered, but it has been a while since I actually owned the Shopsmith.

Jim

What Dave said. He's got it!
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Individual tools will take up less space than a Shopsmith. Anyway, the scrollsaw mounts on the left, but the strip sander would have to be mounted on the way tubes. It would turn in the same direction as a lathe or saw blade.

[snark]

You could always buy another power head. Then you could run both at once!

[/snark]

I really have to get my power head rebuilt. I opened it up, looked inside, said "eek" and decided to have a pro fix it. (Doctors call that a "cut and paste.") I bought it from the original owner's widow. The original owner never heard of "compressed air" apparently.

The sheaves are frozen. The quill return spring doesn't. And the motor's wiring looks like it's insulated with wax paper.

I'd only use it as a DP and occasional lathe. But I've seen good results from people who build things using ONLY the Shopsmith.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Talking

After checking the Shopsmith forums, one of the Guru's suggested another alernative. Use the Shopsmith horizontal drilling feature along with either the Scroll Saw or Sander. Then mount the other tool as a seperate, standalone tool on the auxiliary table on the right hand end of the Shopsimth. This may be a viable alternative for me to look in to.

Again, thanks for the input.

Jim

I really like the shopsmith power station for the belt sander I have. Makes it great when using the SS for its other tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    [snark]

You could always buy another power head. Then you could run both at once!

[/snark]

I really have to get my power head rebuilt. I opened it up, looked inside, said "eek" and decided to have a pro fix it. (Doctors call that a "cut and paste.") I bought it from the original owner's widow. The original owner never heard of "compressed air" apparently.

The sheaves are frozen. The quill return spring doesn't. And the motor's wiring looks like it's insulated with wax paper.

I'd only use it as a DP and occasional lathe. But I've seen good results from people who build things using ONLY the Shopsmith.

Working on a Shopsmith is not too hard. Nick Engler, Author of many woodworking books, is in the process of showing how to completely rebuild a shopsmith through a series of free videos.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_A...Reborn_Pt1.htm

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_A...Reborn_Pt2.htm

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_A...Reborn_Pt3.htm

Here is the main link to the videos so you can get the other parts as they come available.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm

The Shopsmith jigsaw, belt sander and scroll saw can be driven from either end of the headstock. I have shortened the tubes on one of my Shopsmiths and in doing so, can have the scroll saw mounted in the left power mount and drive the belt sander via the pto shaft (under the cap) from the quill. Hope this helps.

If I may ask, how did you go about shortening the tubes? Is it a hard process? (Especially if you know next to nothing about metalworking...)

Jim

Jim,

I use a Makita 4" grinder with a metal cutoff wheel mounted. I mark my cut with blue painters tape and work my way around the tube. When shortening the tubes you need to remember that the bench tubes should be 3/4" longer than the way tubes. It really is not very hard.
    Rob in SoCal