Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Flooring

I used Tuff-Seal interlocking tiles in my shop and I really like them. They click together very tightly so no dust falls between/underneath the tiles. They are firm enough that I can roll my tools over them, including my SS tablesaw. Only problem was that they are on the pricey side.

Roger

This is an interesting subject, and one that I didn't realize was a consideration. If I'm standing stationary for a period of time, how do my feet know whats underneath them? (Assuming I'm not standing in a pool of water.) Does this have to do with the heat transfer, or something else? Would a pair of Dr. Scholls serve the same purpose?

Not trying to be funny there, I'm just not sure what the points are. Thanks all.

Artie

3. I used similar or the same 2 foot interlocking pads in front of my work bench and machines - tablesaw -jointer and planer. They are too soft to rest a machine on but feel great for my feet. I use shop vac to clean areas.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Artie Hall View Post
    This is an interesting subject, and one that I didn't realize was a consideration. If I'm standing stationary for a period of time, how do my feet know whats underneath them? (Assuming I'm not standing in a pool of water.) Does this have to do with the heat transfer, or something else? Would a pair of Dr. Scholls serve the same purpose?

Not trying to be funny there, I'm just not sure what the points are. Thanks all.

Artie
    Artie, I was a teacher for 37 years and I spent many of those years standing on concrete floors. It's not just the feet we're concerned about when selecting flooring for the shop. My hips have suffered as well, perhaps more than my feet. I found that even a thin indoor/outdoor carpet was much better on my feet, legs and hips than the concrete. When I was moved out to a "portable" building with the cheap carpet on a raised foundation the impact on my body was reduced greatly.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Check out the latest issue of the Family Handyman. They review a bunch of garage flooring options.

Carpet over concrete???

Before you start laughing too hard, consider this idea for a minute…

I have a piece of carpet purchased as a remnant at the local flea market. It was very cheap, and I thought it would be easily replaceable, but after 11 years it is still going strong.

It is wonderful on the feet, easy on projects as you roll them over while assembling them, and catches all the stains and finishes that I normally slop everywhere.

The carpet is easy to sweep using an old shop vac with a floor nozzle. I still use the large rubber pads over the carpet in areas where I stand a lot, such as in front of the workbench and bandsaw.

Just an idea. Works for me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom,
    I replaced a bunch of carpet in my home and had on large piece that was in good condition that ended up on the floor in my garage under my car to catch any drips and collect a lot of dirt. Never thought of my shop floor, thanks for the idea.
    David B

Blog Entries

wood

i am thinking about 4x4x4 oak bloks with cherry pattern. i have to build up the floor for a machine. i have the wood.

I have been disabled since jan of 06 with 5 bulging discs in my lower back, shop time was restricted to 15 minutes standing and an hour setting. I went to the wood show in KC and got some of the 2 ft sq interlocking flooring from the Peachtree WWing booth, and it worked wonders, now the times are reversed. Unfortunately I didn't get enough so had to order more online, and its reasonable in price compared to everyplace else.

Just my $.02 worth.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Rubber mats

Jim,
    I've been working on these 2'x2'x 1/2"thk. mats for going on 5 years now and they are the cats meow.
    I am able to stand at my bench for hours without suffering in either my lower back or feet. A pkg. of 8 or 16' sq. at Sams runs in the neighborhood of $24, last time I checked. Easy to sweep, although sawdust does get in the cracks to some extent. When they get dirty you take them outside and hose them off. Another benefit is they save tools...most dropped tools bounce and are fine. Excuse my math, that's 32' sq.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roy Griggs; 09-02-2008 at 11:10 PM.
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

Roy, pkg of 8 2 by 2 squares is 32 sq ft, at $24, they are cheaper than the pkgs of 4 at Peachtree for $18.99 with a discount for 2 pkgs, P tree also carries the tapered edging. I have my whole floor covered in my small shop and they are easy to cut to size if need be.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/shop_accessories.htm#1202
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Yet another option

Here's another place to find interlocking padding floor mats - eBay's fitness section:

http://sporting-goods.listings.ebay....istingItemList

I bought the Daytona mats for my home gym that are really nice, although I am not sure if they're the same density as the ones other people have mentioned. Oddly enough, the idea of using these in my shop never even crossed my mind until now. I might have to pick up a few more now. They are 1' square instead of 2', which might provide some additional flexibility. You might also get a pretty good deal because they sell them in larger quantities.

I had a bunch of cut offs from putting in some of that fake hardwood laminate flooring. I put them together and they definitely feel better to stand on. Only problem is they don't all interlock since they were cut offs. It makes a perfect rectangle though...

I am considering getting some of those interlocking squares (plastic). My only concern is how clickity clacky are they?

Cushioning your feet...

I agree with those of you who are using the anti-fatigue mats...I use several of them throughout my workspace. I have two different kinds actually. I bought a couple of the ones from hartville tool online and they are very nice, but expensive. I also bought a pack from Harbor Freight when I was in there buying drill bits. They are the 2 sq foot interlocking ones. I think it was about 10$ for a 12 sq ft pack. I like these the best. When I am working at my lathe for an extended period of time, I actually double them up and I feel like a champ. They also hose off real nice and don't stick to anything.

John G
    Last edited by John Grabowski; 09-04-2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Hit the wrong button and it posted by accident