Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Packaging bowls for customers

Help - Packaging bowls for customers

This Saturday is the big show. I am so stinkin' anxious, but things are really coming together.

I got to thinking that if someone buys a bowl they may need a safe way to transport it. Do any of you know of really cheap and available packaging materials that would not damage a wax job? Do you think I should just buy a bunch of felt and make "bowl bags"? Any and all suggestion appreciated. Thanks.

Hutch

did you buff the wax, or is it one of those edible finishes/ bowl made for use? if its made for use do worry about it, otherwise people will be afraid to pick it up. if they are artsy peices for show, felt, or cloth
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I use foam wrap or bubble wrap as I have a TON left over from our move last year. Some tape and a plastic bag and they are good to go.

When do we get to see pictures of these quadruple turned bowls??
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Matt - only items I have sold have been from my shop and all I have done is wrap the turning in a couple of pieces of tissue paper (colored gift wrap tissue), then place inside of a plastic grocery bag and roll it up. Then place that bag inside of another plastic bag and you're good to go. The tissue cushions the turning, the first plastic bag holds the tissue in place and the second plastic bag provides a means to carry the turning (handles on the bag). Real high tech but it works!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Soon....

I haven't been able to find the camera battery charger, but I am borrowing my sister's and will have pics soon. As far as the triple turning is concerned, well, it didn't pay off on one particular bowl. It was a really dry bowl, yet it moved a bunch while finish turning it. Anywho, pics are coming soon, hopefully tomorrow night.

The wax I am referring to is furniture wax or carnauba wax (depending on which I like better). I doubt something will damage it, and what I should have said is 'damage the finish'. They are all decorative bowls, and a couple are going to be priced quite high. (One is a 20" cherry bowl, and the other is a 12.5" claro walnut burl bowl.)

Hutch

P.S. Steve, cheap sounds good, although I may want to put them in a box as the final protection.
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 09-01-2008 at 4:27 PM.

Buy a roll of bubble wrap from Staples and check out their bubble wrap bags. But you can't protect anything from the customer!

Hey Matt-
    I buy a giant roll of bubble wrap at costco once or twice a year. I then tear off about 3 ft of it and make pouches to fit my bowls. They fit snug and I tape one end closed. I then put all of my turnings in a plastic tub to protect them while in transit. If I do sell a bowl then I simply pull a pouch from the tub, insert sold bowl and then it goes into a t-shirt bag (costco again.)
    This is just what I works simply and well for me. You can get the bubble, bags and a tub for under $50 and it will last you a very long time.
    Oh yeah, if you decide to go this route make sure that the flat side of the bubble wrap is on the inside of the pouch. I had it the other way once and I had to buff out little round spots all over my bowl.
    Good luck this weekend!

Matt,
    Once saw an article about shipping high end pieces to galleries which suggested the following: first layer is white tissue paper, second layer is bubble wrap, and several more layers including double padded boxes. For your purposes maybe double plastic bags over the bubble wrap would work. There was a lot of emphasis on the first layer being white tissue paper, not plastic, to protect the finish. Just some stuff I read. I usually do the paper, bubble wrap, a padded box, and carry it to my local gallery. Best of luck with your show!
    Richard in Wimberley

Matt,

Good luck on your show.

Please let us know how it went.

Toney

Good Stuff!

Thanks for all the info. I will check out the Costco option. Woodcraft (my new job) is only a stone's throw from one, and hopefully they will have all the above items in stock. It's rather hit or miss with them. Right now I think I will exercise extra caution and put white tissue paper around them before covering in bubble wrap. Overkill is the Hutchinson way.

I will definitely be keeping y'all well informed of the weekend event. Thanks everyone!

Hutch

Matt - make sure you take some photos of your setup! Best of luck to you with the show! It's your first one - make sure you have some fun with it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Matt I do like Richard. I use a layer of tissue paper then finish wrap with bubble wrap.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

[quote=Matt Hutchinson;917974]

The wax I am referring to is furniture wax or carnauba wax (depending on which I like better). I doubt something will damage it, and what I should have said is 'damage the finish'.

Matt,
    Regarding your carnauba wax finish. Take one of your carnauba waxed bowls, sprinkle a few drops of water on it wait a couple of minutes and towel it off. Now look and see if you have water spots. I did and thus have quit using carnauba. If you do you can just re-buff and try something different for the wax like Ren wax or neutral shoe polish.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem

Matt watch the bubble wrap, some finishes will stick right to it, BTDT, tissue paper and plastic bags as Steve mentioned is my favorite also, besides after paying it is their baby really, yes I know, but you can go overboard on this for no good reason IMO .
    As soon as the bowls go for 4 figures, I would get custom made boxes and wrapping
    Have fun and take care

I always wrap then in white acid free tissue, them into a plastic carrier, if they are odd shaped or delicate in some way I also wrap in bubble wrap before putting in the carrier.

I always use acid free white tissue as I have found that ordinary tissue can affect the finish if left wrapped in it too long, also the colour in some of the coloured tissue will transfer to the item in it if it gets wet.

john