Thread: Bandsaw Arrived Safe and Sound

Bandsaw Arrived Safe and Sound

Friday morning I got the call, my G0513 was on its was to my front door. I had talked to someone earlier in the week and asked about a lift gate, but told it wasn't needed. The driver called Friday and wanted to know if he could change the date to this week so he could bring it by on a truck with a gate. I said, NO, they had that option when I called two days before. Anyways, called Jack Diemer and my Bro to stop by during lunch. The BS arrived in a crate (see pic below) and everything looked great. The driver was really impressed. We got the BS off the truck fairly easily as we just slide it down one side. Loaded it on a two wheel truck and that's when the real fun started. Up my steep driveway (about a 10 feet rise over the standard length of driveway), up two stairs on the porch and through the front door, through the main floor of my house and then down my slight dog leg left staircase into the basement. Through the shop door and home. It went pretty easily except for the line of bruises across my biceps and chest where the crate dug in as Jack and Bro tried jam the whole thing into me as we were lower into the basement.

Anyways, I cut the crate off with the Tiger Saw. Pic 2 shows the saw with no table still on the pallet. She sure is purdy. Earlier in the day I stopped by Overland Tools in KC to pick up a General mobile base ($49 not to shabby). Pic 3 shows the base ready for assembly...Man there sure is a lot of bolts. I had to leave my new baby for awhile and get some real work done, but I was able to hit the shop again that evening. I assembled the base in about an hour and then managed to get the BS onto the base by myself, how you ask?, I am still a little fuzzy on this one, but managed to tilt the end with the main support and then slide the base with my foot. Lowered the BS onto the base and then gently slide the rest of the way. You can see in Pic 4 the saw on the base an the covers removed. Spent the rest of the evening cleaning and get the saw together. The top is totally flat, no light coming under the straight edge from any angle. I still needed the plug for the cord, so I could not test out the machine, but Pic 5 shows the saw in its new home. I still need to pick up a section of clear 4" hose and a Y today so I can get the dust collection hooked up. Saturday and Sunday were spent going yard work, Mother's Day and some more glass fusing, so I still have not finished hooking her up. Maybe this evening I can get the plug on. I don't have 220 ran to that location, so I plan on making a special 220V extention cord/box to share the feed with the jointer. They both will never be on at the same time, so no issues with overload.

Anyways, finally comments on this long winded post. This is one fine saw, I only had my past Grizzly experiences and Word of Mouth to go by, but I am impressed. For those that can't afford the MM16 or MM20, don't shy a way from the Grizzly as an option.

My blades from Suffolk will be here this week, so that's when the real test drive will take place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scott Coffelt; 05-10-2004 at 11:05 AM.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott,

Congrats on your new toy. I have its smaller cousin and have been really happy with it. I noticed you look a little different in the second photo than in your avatar. I hope you didn't end up that short after the crate fell on you going down the stairs.

Also, it looks to me like you need more Bessey clamps!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Congratulations on the new saw!

I have that same saw and I love it. I've found that I only need to hook up the top dust port while leaving the bottom dust port open, this allows for much more airflow that with both connected and, so far, gets all of the dust. With both ports connected I had to open the bottom cabinet just a tad to get adequate airflow...YMMV

Erik
    Last edited by Erik Rudd; 05-10-2004 at 11:51 AM. Reason: For politeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cori
    Scott,

Congrats on your new toy. I have its smaller cousin and have been really happy with it. I noticed you look a little different in the second photo than in your avatar. I hope you didn't end up that short after the crate fell on you going down the stairs.

I was thinking the same thing!! I do believe that I can find a home for those clamps that won't fit on the wall rack. I wouldn't want them to get lonely!

Seriously, that looks like a great machine. Congrats!!

Keith

Congrats Scott!!!!! You gonna love that saw.!!! Hey.....who's that nice lookin' young gentleman in the pic? Shop helper maybe?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cori
    Scott,

That's Mini-Me, he loves daddy's shop but knows the rules when I am working on tools. He has his own little stash of wood to play with. He owns the work bench by the TV.

What you don't see is the 20+ that are on the floor that don't fit on the rack. You can't have too many clamps.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs