Thread: Question Re. Finishing Spaulted Ambrosia Maple

Question Re. Finishing Spaulted Ambrosia Maple

Just wrapping up a spaulted ambrosia maple hollowed form with really spectacular looking markings. Don't want to screw it up. I would usually finish it with danish oil and beall buff it but that'll probably make it too dark. Besides it has a hole so it may be difficult to buff.

So, how would you all suggest finishing it, keeping in mind that I'd like to keep it as light and natural as possible.

Not ruling out the danish oil, just not familar with all the options, and figure that you guys would.

I usualy use Rocklers Gel poly on my Ambrosia Maple pieces.
    I just done a 19" Bowl from Spalted AM with some curl, I used auntiqe oil on it to pop the figure and it did darken some. should have just stuck with the Gel Poly.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Bill,
    What level of gloss do you want?
    Richard in Wimberley

Level of Gloss?

I have probably ruled out gloss poly because (to me) it tends to make the wood look too plastic, too cool. I like the warmer look of the pieces I've done that were just beal buffed and waxed. Still haven't tried semi-gloss poly or shellac, or lacquers.

I'm new enough to woodturning to want to be open minded and to listen to the suggestions.

Bill why not try some pure Polymerized tung oil ??
    It will bring out the grain and does very little darkening of the wood, it's a tough finish that you can make from a low to a medium or high luster, also polish and wax if you want to, it is a finish I do use a lot as well as the pure tung oil finish.
    Here's a link
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,42942
    Have fun and take care

Try Deft's Clear Wood Finish

When I don't want a finish to color or darken the wood, I reach for Deft's Clear Wood Finish, which is a brushable lacquer. I prefer the semi-gloss, but I just used the gloss version on a lamp base because that's what my wife preferred. Unlike some lacquers, Deft is not supposed to yellow with age. I can't vouch for that -- I've only been using it for about 5 years and in that time, I've not noticed any yellowing. YMMV.

I find Deft very easy to apply. I usually apply it with a brush at the lathe in several light coats. In between coats, I use 0000 steel wool. If, after the final coat of lacquer, I don't like the gloss, I can easily adjust the gloss level up or down. To go down a notch, I just lightly go over the turning with steel wool. To go up a notch, I go over the piece with steel wool lubricated with paste wax. After the wax hardens, I buff with a paper towel.

Deft is available at the borgs and at Woodcraft and Rockler. (I bought a quart at Home Depot because I needed it right away. Two days later, I went to Woodcraft and found their Deft was about a buck cheaper.)

Here's a link to CSUSA's description: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...h___deft?Args=

Good luck.