Thread: Pulleys

Pulleys

This may be a dumb question but what size pulleys do I need for a craftsman 10" contractor table saw ?

Dennis

My 35 yr old C'man 10 in saw has 2.5" OD pulleys on both the arbor and the motor. Not sure of the pitch diameter, but I'm assuming they are both the same.

I don't think the actual diameter is that important as long as you have clearance for the pulley you select. Using a pulley that is too small will have an adverse effect on belt life so I wouldn't go any smaller than 2.5". No reason not to go larger as long as the arbor pulley will clear the saw's structure throughout the blade tilt and height adjustment.

It is important is to realize that if the two pulleys have different pitch diameters, you'll get a torque/speed multiplier effect. Motor pulley larger than arbor pulley will increase blade speed above the motor RPM and reduce torque at the blade. The opposite effect for motor pulley smaller than arbor pulley - slower blade but more torque. Playing with pulley sizes will not affect the power available at the blade.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Blog Entries
    Generally with a 3450 rpm motor, identical pulleys are used. My old C-man was 2.5". I used machined pulleys and a link belt to really smooth out the performance.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Tom thank you for your input. I will go with two pulleys of the same size, Grizzly's machined 2" pitch dia. has a major dia. of 2.25 and their 3" has a major dia. of 2.75.

Dennis

Well, Dennis, if it was me doing it, and there wasn't an interference problem (don't know whether there is or not), I'd opt for the larger pulley - less strain on the belt, and a larger wrap radius, both of which show a little more kindness to the belt.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Well Tom you read my mind I ordered the 3" .

Thanks again

Dennis