Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baracuda chuck? you only have a minute to stop me

baracuda chuck? you only have a minute to stop me

LOML will be out of town for a week with e kids and it is the perfect time to get some x-mas presents done---I need a couple of sets of jaws for my nova g3 chuck to do what I want----I always go wrong when I by cheap but I really think I want to get the Baracuda with all the attachments rather than buying one set of jaws for for 75% of the cost getting and additianl chuck with various jaws

will i hate my self even though I have one chuck that is a decent brand????Getting ready to click on a order before going to bed ---speak now or forever hold your peice

Never used the NOVA so it is hard to make an actual comparison, but I do like my baracuda when the gears are clean and lubricated. There are no non marring jaws available for the Baracuda. Just something to think about. Oh what the heck, push the button.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I think you already know the answer John
    Quality hurts only once, cheap every time you want to use it !!!!!!
    Have fun and take care

Not a word of a lie, I threw away my baracuda2 when I bit the bullet and bought a pair of supernovas. The jaws were difficult to impossible to open after only a year of use. Additionally two of the jaws screws stripped.

Jason

going to sleep on it

I held off a few menutes until someone replied and now you guys really have me second guessing----the only thing I truly need is a set of pin step jaws to hold the inside (drilled whole) of a few bird ornaments and "mock" inside out ornaments----nova does not seem to have the step jaws I have seen used on line but I think the pin jaws do the same thing??---i just thought it would be nice to have a second chuck rather than taking all the time to switch jaws

You can find all the Nova jaws here:
    http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...ries/Index.htm
    Keeping your chucks within the same Nova family gives you the flexibility to share the jaws.
    Gordon

John - I have the Baracuda 4 and don't have any complaints.

Barracuda OK!

I have used my Barracuda for three years with no problems, Go to a gun store and pick up a can of spray gun cleaner and clean it out once in a while. Good idea for any chuck.
    Bob

the barracuda2 and a cheap grizzly are all I own. I love it! works great for years now.

Bob

I have a Barracuda and the superNova2. The barracuda is a good chuck and I've used it a lot with no problems. My only complaint is the limited number of jaws available - what you get with it is about all there is - which is the main reason I bought the SN2.

As long as you keep the barracuda clean (blow out the inside) it will work fine. It's not sealed so the sawdust will build up inside and that will make it hard to adjust.

For the price, you can't go wrong. Buy it and try it. If you decide you don't like it, sell it on eBay and you'll get almost all your money back.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a barracuda 2 and have used it and used it and used it. Don't waste your money on the cole jaws. They are junk; mine don't even line up correctly when closed--they must've machined the parts without lining them up with the others in sequence.... I do have a gripe about the barracuda other than the lack of other jaws; the serrated jaws really bruise work a lot more than other chucks that I've seen & been able to use. I wish they had a true dovetail jaw available, like it was in the picture when I bought mine. For the money though, it is a good chuck. If you're going to be production turning, get a supernova or Oneway, or vicmarc for that matter. There is a grizzly chuck that is a copy of the vicmarc 100, and seems to fit other vicmarc jaws in this series. I haven't personally tried it, but many others here have.

I have the Vicmarc VM 100 chuck. I then found out the $99 Grizzly chuck is the same and all the jaws of the Vicmarc fit it. So I have 3 of the $99 Grizz chucks using Vicmarc jaws. The Grizz chucks are good chucks and have used them now for 3 yrs. with no problems.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post
    I have a barracuda 2 and have used it and used it and used it. Don't waste your money on the cole jaws. They are junk; mine don't even line up correctly when closed--they must've machined the parts without lining them up with the others in sequence.... I do have a gripe about the barracuda other than the lack of other jaws; the serrated jaws really bruise work a lot more than other chucks that I've seen & been able to use. I wish they had a true dovetail jaw available, like it was in the picture when I bought mine. For the money though, it is a good chuck. If you're going to be production turning, get a supernova or Oneway, or vicmarc for that matter. There is a grizzly chuck that is a copy of the vicmarc 100, and seems to fit other vicmarc jaws in this series. I haven't personally tried it, but many others here have.
    My new psi catalog has different jaws availible now including dovetail.
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/c-...ment-jaws.html

Bob

If you stay with turning very long you will some how find that you have multiple chucks and most of the time they will be ones that you got at a good price. I believe that I have seven chucks now and there is 3 SN2's as well as some off brands. most of the SN2's have the same jaws on them so that I do not have to recenter turnings that have two pieces to them. Most of the other chucks have different style jaws on them. I just bought two new sets of jaws so I am not looking for some chucks to put them on. I do not like to take the time to change jaws on chucks when I want to use them.

Thank you all I did not even think about Grizzly

time to shop some more!
    just did but ll are see are what I thought were metal lathe chucks with small stair stepped looking jaws---do they not have additional jaws for them??

I just got exited because I have to travel back home through springfield MO this week-end and they have a grizlly outlet there
    Last edited by John Nowack; 09-04-2008 at 8:41 PM.