Thread: New Toy Arrived !

New Toy Arrived !

Well my Minimax combo machine (CU350 8.5' stroke) made it to its new home (my garage) with no problems - now to clean off the cosmoline, wire it up, and align it. That 8.5' slider is L O N G - I really need to get a dedicated shop space so I can give it some room. Anyhow, I've included some pictures of the delivery. I hired a local rigging company to accept the machine, uncrate it, and deliver. They brought out a long trailer (semi-truck) that could jack up (to a loading dock) and down to the street. Made the whole delivery process go quick and easy; took about an hour from uncrating to delivery, all at a fairly reasonable price ($68/hr + 1$/mile).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet, compared to my shop it looks like it has all the room in the world. Good thing it didn't rain.

John

Now that looks like the right way to have things delevered.

If I were ever to get such a machine (but I very much doubt that I will), I would want it to be delivered that way rather than the Felder delivery that Todd Burch recently described.

OK Steve - get that thing plugged in and let's start producing some perfectly square case goods! I love a slider for repeatability. Is that a 12" blade? Did you get the scoring attachment? Single phase?

Looks right at home in the garage, er shop...very nice!

Now, that's a pretty sight in your shop! Congratulations on the "delivery" of your new baby!! Do post more pics when you get it all cleaned up and fully configured. Perhaps a tour for the folks who are not as familiar with these combo machines??
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    OK Steve - get that thing plugged in and let's start producing some perfectly square case goods! I love a slider for repeatability. Is that a 12" blade? Did you get the scoring attachment? Single phase?
    Plugged in and start cutting? He, he, he, he - you must be kidding right? As you know, it's first remove all of the shipping clips that keep parts from moving, get back with the company to find out where the missing pieces are (separate box comming shortly), clean off all of the cosmoline, grease things that need greasing, protect parts that need protecting, and wax parts that need waxing. Then comes the fun part, wire it up and try to figure out what you did wrong when it won't start the first time, followed by a nice long comissioning process (I need to get that 5 sided cut to .0005" in 8' - darn). I'll be happy if everything is cleaned up, hooked up, aligned, and ready to cut by June 1 (notice I didn't say which year) !

As for the saw, it has 3 4.8hp (really 4hp) single phase motors, 12" blade, scoring, 350mm (14") jointer/planer, 8.5' slider stroke, tilting shaper, dato capability, and mortiser. I've upgraded the mortiser to the Elite version (another 30KG heavier - bigger table, more like the Felder), aluminum faces for the shaper fence, tennoning hood and plate, and 30mm shaper spindle in addition to the 1 1/4". I'll probably change out the hand wheels for versions with counters in the middle, and add a power feeder and tilting bracket when the tilting bracket becomes available. For shaper tooling I have a few Felder cutters with insert tooling (rebate and slot/tennon), and some Freud tooling on order. To complete my installation I need a mag switch and some ductwork from Oneida to show up.

Steve...in case you missed it in the Mini Max forum, once you're all wired up and ready to cut, you might want to avoid the most common "rite of passage" with the CU300 by making sure the shaper "transmission" is in forward or reverse when you try to use the other workstations. If it's in neutral...it will not turn on!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...