Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bradford Pear Hollow form critique needed

Bradford Pear Hollow form critique needed

This is only my second hollow form so please give any insight on form.

Wood was reclaimed at local mulch site. It has some great curl on the sides.

Measures 4" wide by 7" tall.

Thanks for the comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Stephen! You picked a great piece of wood - beautiful curl and color!

I think the form looks pretty good but I am not 100% sure with the foot area - and this is VERY minor - seems the curve flairs out ever so slight as it approaches the foot area. Again - that is just my opinion and could be the way the photo comes across. Tools control looks good - no obvious tear out or bruising. Opening is a nice size for the piece and it looks like you got the form fairly thin! Nice work on that!

What did you use for a finish? How did you apply it? Just curious as there was no reference to the finish.

I think you did a great job on this form! Have to warn you that hollow forms can become addictive! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very good HF!

I like the form, and am curious about the shield on the side. Anyway, the growth rings are phenominal.
    Bob

Nicely done. I am not sure I have ever seen bradford pear for a turning. Good looking wood.

Thanks for the comments.

As for the finish. Two coats of danish oil and then four coats of Deft's new water based finish. I really like that finish.

As for more of my work go to www . massmans . org not sure of the moderators will strip that out. if they do, you can google my name. "steve massman walk in the woods"

If you ever get a chance to get some, you will love it. Really any fruit wood is a joy to turn.

Here is another item from the same log.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Bower View Post
    Nicely done. I am not sure I have ever seen bradford pear for a turning. Good looking wood.

Nice job, great looking wood too! What method or tooling did you use to hollow? Im looking into that kind of thing now and have been browsing around at the various hollowing systems out there.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Great job on a nice looking piece of wood. Well done for your second.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bradford pear is one of my favorites to turn. It's easy, comes off in large ribbons, and I've seen some great figure in some around here.

Your hollow form looks well made. The form and finish look good, especially for just your second hollow form.

The one thing that caught my eye was the foot. My opinion is it needed to be just a little wider and have a little sharp curve to the foot instead of just a flat bottom. This would give the piece a little bit of lift and prevent it from looking like it was stuck to the table.

Again, there's a lot of things to like about this piece as is. Thanks for sharing it.

Here's an example of a bradford pear piece with the foot I'm talking about.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Nice job Stephen, and very well done for just a second try
    But like a few already mention the foot can be improved upon, and not just one way, there are a few choices that work well, I will add a couple of pictures here, that show the foot widen out at the bottom to give a look of stability, and the other one a very slight rounding inward to pry it off of the surface, HTH some
    Oh and one to show the real size of the HF
    Have fun and take care

I had a local machine shop duplicate Captain Eddies Steel Snake.
    http://www.bayouwoodturners.com/capsnotebook.htm best viewed in Internet explorer.

It is a good system, but what do I know since this is only my second. I like the Monster system but couldnt justify the cost. Maybe after I get more under my belt, I will move up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Nice job, great looking wood too! What method or tooling did you use to hollow? Im looking into that kind of thing now and have been browsing around at the various hollowing systems out there.

Stephen first let me say great turning. I really like the form and the way the wood grain is displayed. I would like to suggest that you consider doing some buffing after your sanding Bradford pear is one of those woods that you can get a glass-like luster on even before the finish is applied. From what I see that is the only thing I would suggest. Good work my friend.

I have provided a pics of one I am working on now that is not yet completed. There is no finish it is just sanded to 600 grit and Buffed with red and white. I will finish this one later with poly. Hope this helps a bit.
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 09-06-2008 at 8:45 AM.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

I will give that a try. never thought of buffing before finish since the red and white have some wax in it. Does that cause problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley View Post
    Stephen first let me say great turning. I really like the form and the way the wood grain is displayed. I would like to suggest that you consider doing some buffing after your sanding Bradford pear is one of those woods that you can get a glass-like luster on even before the finish is applied. From what I see that is the only thing I would suggest. Good work my friend.

I have provided a pics of one I am working on now that is not yet completed. There is no finish it is just sanded to 600 grit and Buffed with red and white. I will finish this one later with poly. Hop[e this helps a bit.

Outside of Steve S's comment about the possible flare to the base, this is a very good effort. Nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Massman View Post
    I will give that a try. never thought of buffing before finish since the red and white have some wax in it. Does that cause problems?
    Not at all Stephen. When finished buffing I wipe it down good with mineral spirits and have had no finish problems.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning