Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I actually got hurt by a Sawstop!!!

I actually got hurt by a Sawstop!!!

Was my second time disecting a sawstop and admiring the quality that went into building this tank. (Sans all the electrical safeguards). I was spinning the arbor from the drive belt inside the case and admiring the smoothness of the total system. I got my finger caught between the belt and pulley. I felt like a dumbass. Salesman did state that this was a first for him.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

In looking at the serpantine belt and the tension that is on it in my sawstop I bet thet was very hard to do.

Mike,
    I was like a kid in a candy store with a grin on my face. I was pulling down quickly multiple times on the secondary drive belt. My index finger got caught up between the pulley and belt on the inner side. My finger thankfully did not go the complete turn between the two, or I could have ended up with a broken finger or worse a possible partial missing finger. Have a very large "blood blister" pinch and hurt like hell at the time. But looking backwards, we all had a good laugh at the store.

Mark, glad you are OK! That would have been very bad. You would be the first reported guy to loose a finger tip to a sawstop that I have read about!

Im not 100% sure about this, so don't quote me, but I may be the first person to hurt my thumb with a hammer.

This just proves my earlier post(s).......Just because you own a SAWSTOP or even looking at a sawstop doesn't mean your not going to get hurt...Glad all you got was a blister...A 10" or 12" spinning blade is dangerous in any machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Darby View Post
    Im not 100% sure about this, so don't quote me, but I may be the first person to hurt my thumb with a hammer.
    Eddie
    No you are not.

Mike

Mt. Juliet, TN/ on the road full time in 38' Fleetwood Revolution Motor Home

Thumbs & Hammers

Speaking of thumbs and hammers, when I was a teenager I was helping my grandfather put a tin roof on the barn and of course I hit my thumb. My grandfather had a good laugh and I went to the house to bandage it. On my way back to the barn I met my grandfather, he had this hangdog look on his face because he had hit his thumb also. So I had the last laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by mark page View Post
    I felt like a dumbass. Salesman did state that this was a first for him.
    Was it Tim at Overland Tool in North KC???
    If it was him, I can imagine him laughing at your silly posterior too.

Greg

Greg, it wasn't at Overlands. This happened a week ago and out of town & hopefully no one knows me there. If they read this they will find out who I am. But I have suffered enough embarrassment already over this one. I do gotta say, that is the smoothest and easiest running drive system I've ever come across on a table saw. I expected a little more resistance in the system than what I found. This is the first time I ever got wounded from a power tool that was unplugged, unless your counting dropping one on my feet or tweaking my back from moving one, lol. It all goes back to when I was a kid and my father always saying "keep your hands out of those fan belts"!!!!!

Was my second time disecting a sawstop and admiring the quality that went into building this tank. (Sans all the electrical safeguards). I was spinning the arbor from the drive belt inside the case and admiring the smoothness of the total system. I got my finger caught between the belt and pulley. I felt like a dumbass. Salesman did state that this was a first for him.

You know what is seriosly funny about this, on the door you opened there is a warning and a caution/safety picture of a finger getting caught in the belts. You were warned!

Gotta admit Mike, that I seriously didn't notice it. I was goin straight for the goods!!!!

Mark,

I will try to get something built around the motor cover side of the Uni when I know you are coming up - that way we will avoid most mishaps...

I am glad you did not do anything more nasty. A blood blister is bad enough.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

I thought you were going to say the hurt was in your back pants pocket . . . in the area of your wallet!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Mike,
    I was like a kid in a candy store with a grin on my face. I was pulling down quickly multiple times on the secondary drive belt. My index finger got caught up between the pulley and belt on the inner side. My finger thankfully did not go the complete turn between the two, or I could have ended up with a broken finger or worse a possible partial missing finger. Have a very large "blood blister" pinch and hurt like hell at the time. But looking backwards, we all had a good laugh at the store.
    Sure glad we’re not related.

Seriously, I’m glad it was not worse - it could’ve been.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney