Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blanket Chest Completed!!

Blanket Chest Completed!!

I'm pretty happy with the way this one came out. It's my first piece of actual "case work", as well as the first time I've done breadboard ends and raised panels, so I was nervous going in. I made this blanket chest as a wedding gift for my brother-in-law and his bride-to-be. It's made from RS and QSWO. After sealing it up with dewaxed shellac, I stained it with General Finish's walnut gel stain, then applied three applied three coats of GF's Satin High Performance topcoat. A couple of coats of paste wax later, this is where it's at.

I lined the interior with aromatic red cedar panels purchased at Home Depot. After a light sanding, they came out pretty nicely...

I'm hoping they like it. Thanks for looking!!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Looks great, I'm sure it will be a certer piece at their home.

Nice work!!!

That's gorgeous! Nice work!

Great project and nice work.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Thanks, guys!!
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

How did you secure the cedar panels on the inside for the lining? I like that look and style. They the 5/16" thick planking? It looks like you just mounted them flush to the lip of the chest.

Very well done project by the way. Sharp look to it, and one heck of a gift.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Looks to me like a case of good work...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    How did you secure the cedar panels on the inside for the lining? I like that look and style. They the 5/16" thick planking? It looks like you just mounted them flush to the lip of the chest.

Very well done project by the way. Sharp look to it, and one heck of a gift.
    Thanks, Alex! The panels are a hair thicker than 1/4", so I just decided to use 3/4" brads, sunk just below the surface. It looks very clean, even up close. I did mount the cedar flush with the top lip of the chest. I had originally considered putting a small chamfer on the inside edge of each piece of planking, but decided against it in the end.

- Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Looks to me like a case of good work...

Thanks, Jim!! I'm just glad to have the thing outta the shop. It was taking up way too much space....

- Keith

Very nice execution. Just curious, why did you orient the grain on the side raised panels perpendicular to those on the front and back?

Very nice looking chest. I bet they will be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kirkpatrick View Post
    Very nice execution. Just curious, why did you orient the grain on the side raised panels perpendicular to those on the front and back?
    Simply.....a rookie mistake. I didn't take my time. I didn't notice the grain orientation until it was too late, and didn't have the material to fix my mistake. While it didn't "junk up" the project, it is something I wish I could go back and do over.

- Keith

Keith

great looking blanket chest. What are the dimensions?

Great finishing job on an impressive first major project. Keep on working past your comfort zone.