Thread: Help with Grizzly G0555 band saw

Help with Grizzly G0555 band saw

Hi - I bought this band saw almost 4 years ago and have enjoyed it. Lately it's started tripping the breaker (it's the only thing on the circuit and that has never been a problem before.) Today I put a new blade on thinking that a dull blade might be contributing to the problem. No change. Breaker is tripped after only a few seconds and there's a hot smell. The bottom of the motor is hot to the touch but not alarmingly so. The motor does not appear to have sawdust in it but I've not taken it apart yet. The belt tension seem fine. A slipping belt might contribute to the smell but shouldn't cause the breaker to trip (would it?) Before I shell out $200 for a new motor does anyone have a similar experience or a better idea? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Carey View Post
    Hi -Breaker is tripped after only a few seconds and there's a hot smell. .
    You gotta find out where that hot smell is coming from. Also, what do you mean by hot smell? Burning rubber; burning plastic? Ozonic? Burning wood?

Since the tripping does not happen under load, my instinct is it's a short somewhere. Is the cord in good shape?

I have the same saw. But mine's brand new. I notice the motor gets hot to the touch too. But I figured that's par for the course.

When a breaker pops more than once there is a problem that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. If you get the hot smell after a few seconds it sounds like you have a short somewhere and it is probably the motor or a capacitor on the motor. The motor should not be warm after running for a few seconds. Pull the belt and try the motor with zero load.
    David B

I had a similar experince with a shaper I use to have in the shop. It was in fact one of the leads to the start capacitor had come loose from use. Mine was just a spade connector. I crimped it a little tighter and it solved my problem. I didnt get a burning smell so much as I was just tripping breakers all of the sudden.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Thanks guys. The tech rep from Grizzly just called following up on an email I sent to their customer service address with much the same message. Looks like tomorrow is motor tear down day for me. Appreciate the insight and pointers.

So what happened Dave?!?