Thread: Split Turnings

Split Turnings

I need to turn some plugs that will be a snug fit to the inside of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe, and will have a flange that is the same as the OD of the pipe. The plugs will have a 3/16 hole drilled thru the center, and must be split in two to slip over a cable that will go thru the center of the pipe. There is, to the best of my memory, a way to glue up split turning squares with newsprint in the center. The turnings are then easily split apart on the center due to the relativly weak newsprint bond. My question is what type of glue should be used, and does anyone have a link to a site showing the process? The archive doesn't seem to be much help on this.

Russ Hauser

Russ, when I did some inside-out turnings I used a spray adhesive called Craft Bond by Elmers. Used a single sheet of paper between the different sections and saturated the wood and paper with the glue. Never had anything come apart until I separated the pieces.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

The split turning technique was recently demonstrated at a meeting of my woodworker's guild. The presenter said he just uses plain brown wrapping paper and regular Elmer's white glue (like the stuff kids use in school) to join the wood pieces before turning. He even split apart a completed turning as part of the demo. Just used a thin bladed paint scraper set on the glue line and a few quick hammer taps. Seemed to work pretty well to me, but I have no practical experience in the area. Good luck.
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Thanks Steve and Tim, I know what to do now.

Russ

Split turnings

I'd like to suggest an alternative. I've done some limited inside out turning and used heavy duty double sided carpet tape to "glue" the pieces together. I kept some extra stock on each end of the turning and wrapped clear packing tape around the outside of this excess stock. The whole package was very stable. (It was also easy to split apart when I was finished.)

Another alternative - make your blank about 3/4" longer than it needs to be on each end, and glue the pieces on only 1/2" of the ends with Titebond or whatever. Turn the piece, cut off the ends, and you have your two separate halves.
    Richard in Wimberley

Good suggestions from Steve and Richard, but I glued up the Cyprus and kraft paper blanks last night. Tomorrow we'll see how this first attempt works out.

Russ

I turn mine like Richard does. I make the blanks a 1/2" inch longer. Glue the ends and then cut them off after it is turned.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The turnings came out okay, no tendency to split on the lathe. I was concerned about them splitting when the tail stock placed pressure on the glued up turnings between the drive and live centers, but no problem. Pics to come after the paint dries.

Russ

Here are a couple of pics of the turnings I made. Worked out pretty good. Thanks to all for the input. Each half will be held in place in the PVC pipe with a small SS screw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Russ - glad to see everything worked out for you but seeing the end product makes me have to ask the question: What actually is the project for?
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 09-19-2008 at 4:12 PM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Something nautical perhaps?
    Richard in Wimberley

Steve, I am making new shroud covers for the standing rigging on my sailboat. The headsail needs to cross the rigging from side to side when the boat is tacking. The covers fit over the six shrouds and will act as rollers to keep the sail and its lines from snagging on the shrouds and turnbuckles at their lower ends. The commercial covers come in only one size and length, and don't last for long. My boat requires larger covers for the two forward shrouds and are not available, so I'm making my own.

Russ