Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Evans View Post
    That was helpful.
    Jim, I'm a little slow sometimes... is that sarcasm, or a serious reply? I hate to have to muddle through a badly written posting, and don't mean to be mean about saying something about it, but - shouldn't an intelligent person express themselves clearly and not cause others to have to 'translate' poor writing? Mike

Curtis,
    You mentioned that the production turner in question had a huge lathe. It might be worth noting that large production turnings, porch columns for example, are often painted and typically do not require the fine finish to which most of us are accustomed. A turned surface that many here would begin to sand with 120 or even coarser might be acceptable (as turned) for some applications.
    Richard in Wimberley

I suppose there's something to it, though don't forget He didn't write the post.

We are talking softwood spindle turning (Large spindle OK) I wouldn't want to use scrapers on something like that, and a large skew can make a very nice surface.

And especially in the hands of a professional turner, and like what has said before, it has to be paint grade, too smooth and you get some upset painters with that kind of work.
    Have fun and take care

Sanding

Hi Curtis,

You said the guy was a production turner making columns and it's quite possible he didn't need to sand. Repetition would hone his skills and leave the wood finished with good tool work.

I have heard of other spindle production turners who, with the right kind of wood, get away without sanding. Seldom did they sand below 220 grit because paint wouldn't stick to the wood. In the case of the column maker, no one gets too close to a porch pole!

As far as scrapers go, there is a use for them, but not on spindle work.

Keep posting, I can read your comments just fine.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    Jim, I'm a little slow sometimes... is that sarcasm, or a serious reply? I hate to have to muddle through a badly written posting, and don't mean to be mean about saying something about it, but - shouldn't an intelligent person express themselves clearly and not cause others to have to 'translate' poor writing? Mike
    Mike,
    Sorry I am educated and have a very good job as a Cell Tech for a major company. But my spelling and gramar are terrible so if you see my name you might want to skip my post.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    Curt, if I could get past the misspellings and grammar defects, I might render an opinion. Sorry, but this kinda thing around here is killing me. Mike
    Thought this was a turning forum not English class
    Anyway, If you can't be a "real turner" without sand paper I guess I'll never be a real turner
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Good for him and any turner that doesn't need to sand. I look at sandpaper as just another tool. Not a turning tool, but a finishing tool. The end result is whats important.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Blog Entries

what is huge

curtis, 36 grit , ship it. i have a big lathe. john t

Blog Entries
    Hey, I've always understood that sandpaper is a 'cutting Tool'... therefore, I find nothing wrong with it.
    Have a Nice Day!

An excerpt from my Artist's Statement to answer your question Curtis:

"I use a non-structured technique to realize my vision. It usually starts with me thinking about a piece for days or weeks before going out to my shop and putting something down in wood. In my work, the process isn't as important as the end product so my array of tools and my liberal use of sandpaper may annoy some other woodturning artists, but it's the way I work. I enjoy the process of creating in my mind and then translating that to my medium but it's the goal of the finished work that drives me. In other words, the perfection of a single cut isn't what I'm looking for, it's the bowl or vase or sculpture that I saw in my dreams for days that is the goal."
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

I just spent four days with Stuart Batty, who is arguably one of the best woodturners in the world, if not the best.

He learned as an apprentice in his father's shop starting at about age 11 or so, and got paid by the piece. That's when you either learn to do things quickly and well, or you don't make much money.

As demonstrators go, he's shown some of the cleanest cuts and finest pieces right off the lathe that I've ever seen. But... some of the pieces still would have needed a touch of sandpaper.

I don't have those skills, and I know very few people who do. And I know fewer people still who have that kind of time to gain that experience.

So... I say, sand away! And work on your technique! Learn everything you can in order to minimize sanding.

And no. Scrapers are not the evil thing many turners say they are. Stuart used a scraper in plenty of situations. The only problem I see with using a scraper is the same problem you have with using any turning tool, only magnified 100 times. They don't get sharpened near enough. STAY near your grinder and learn how to sharpen!

PS. If we would all work at our writing like we work on our woodturning, then our experience on the forum would also be pleasurable for all. This isn't to say that I won't read what you write (right, wright, or write?) but it's just easier to read if you'll pay more attention to your spelling, grammar, and punctuation, not to mention capitalization. Those who are English majors will note that I still haven't learned to write without huge run-on sentences - so I can say I need to work on my writing as well.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 09-08-2008 at 7:48 PM.

Curtis,
    I just finished a run of 150 wooden beads for an annual event I go to (every year you attend, you get a bead for your necklace, and I volunteered to make the ones for this, the 28th year). By the time I was done, I was doing a good enough job that sanding with 220 was roughing them up, not smoothing them out. Getting that smooth of a cutting jog with a skew on spindle projects is a lot easier than getting that kind of a finish on bowls where you are cutting flat grain and end grain (with and against, or up hill and down hill). As far as scrapers, I use them a lot on both bowls and spindles. I can get a finish cut with scrapers that is almost impossible to tell apart from a gouge. It is all in having a sharp tool, and how you apply the tool to the wood, as in a scraping cut and a shear cut. On spindles, I love to use the 'Big Ugly tool' which is a primative version of the Ci 1 rougher. I have seen it in the hands of a master making as fine and smooth cuts on bowls, spindles, and finials as any skew or gouge. Again it is all in how sharp the tool is and how the tool is applied: scraping cut, or shear cut. Some where in the distant future, I hope that my tool tecnique will improve to the point where I don't need to sand any more. As it now stands, I almost never have to use 80 grit on my bowls any more, and a lot of the time I start at 120 or 180.

Remember, all of God's children are different, and some of us are more different than others. We all do things differently, and we do what works best for us.

Ouch

I'm gone - you let others' posts stand unrebutted or remarked on; thanks for all the past advice and info. mike
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 09-19-2008 at 6:19 PM.

Folks, this is a reminder that in our community, courtesy is the rule and we have a very diverse membership with respect to age, experience and education. Let's not turn what could be and continue to be a great philosophical discussion into a run in the mud. Moderators are watching this thread closely right now...

Jim
    SMC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Overman View Post
    An excerpt from my Artist's Statement to answer your question Curtis:

"I enjoy the process of creating in my mind and then translating that to my medium but it's the goal of the finished work that drives me. In other words, the perfection of a single cut isn't what I'm looking for, it's the bowl or vase or sculpture that I saw in my dreams for days that is the goal."
    Raymond,
    Well said. Had not thought about it much, but it is for me also, the goal of the finished work that is the driving force. Along the way I sometimes ask, am I having fun yet?
    Richard in Wimberley