Thread: Spiral end mill question

Spiral end mill question

Would a machine type SEM work in a router for wood cutting? Pricing from a couple of places seem much cheeper than rockler/wwodcraft. Is there something special about a carbide or cobalt cutter to cut wood instead of metal?

John, I don't have an answer, but I'm looking forward to the replies as I was about to post a similar question when yours popped up!

pete

Depending on the specific flute design it could work okay or great. I think you'd generally want to go with the 2-flute designs.

I know of a fair number of people using end mills in wood without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    Depending on the specific flute design it could work okay or great. I think you'd generally want to go with the 2-flute designs.

I know of a fair number of people using end mills in wood without any problems.
    With great success, I use spiral end mills from boeing surplus in my shaper and my horizontal mortiser. Both of these machines are reversible.

Have never used them in a router, but I think that it would be OK. Please check for rotation direction.

Does your router have speed control? My end mills work at about 8000 rpm.

yes they work fine I use them on my cnc router all of the time.
    you want solid carbide and 2 flute. these are far stronger then the bits you find marketed for routers.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Spiral end Mills

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    yes they work fine I use them on my cnc router all of the time.
    you want solid carbide and 2 flute. these are far stronger then the bits you find marketed for routers.
    Do you mean carbide or cobalt. I have heard that cobalt was harder. Also what speeds do you use?

carbide solid carbide. the cobalt coating is for metalworking and will do nothing for woodworking. plus it can cost more
    you can't run the bits like I do I would seldom go over 12k and cut anywhere from 1 inch per second to 6 depending on what I am cutting.
    but a good guidline for long life the bit should only be warm to the touch. if it is really hot then you need to move faster if possible or turn down the rpms but on a regular router you may lose too much power.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing