Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shelix on a DW735, anyone?

I guess it looks pretty straightforward......but voiding the warranty bugs me. I still have 2 new 'edges' to work through before I even need to consider a replacement though....

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    Interesting post. Looks complicated but probably easier than the explanation. With new blades $50 it seems like there would have to be more benefits than long lasting. Would the Shelix head work better,easier,etc? That is almost as much as I gave for my 735 after rebate. This is my first post here. I have lurked for a while and thought I would join. Looking to learn and if possible help where I can.
    Fred
    Welcome, Fred! I just jumped in here myself, and the water is great! Nice folks, honestly trying to help each other - friendly, etc! I've already learned a lot here. I'm pretty new to woodworking so I'm taking more than I'm giving at the moment. I'm sure that will turn around soon...

Andy

I went looking but didn't find it for $339 - what I found was listed at $439.

Did the OP just get a number wrong or am I looking at the wrong thing? Or did they up the price all of a sudden?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Did the OP just get a number wrong or am I looking at the wrong thing? Or did they up the price all of a sudden?

Mike
    Wow, the price did go up. It was $339 this morning and I had it in my cart for 305 but decided to wait until the other Mike got his.

Well, that kinda sucks.

Mike,

I just called to check and here is what happened. The price on it is $439 but Byrd is running a special at $339 so we matched it but aren't making any money at that price. Well, when the orders came over today with the discount applied putting the dea lin the red, the special price of $339 was removed. I'll put it back at $339 but will not allow the discount at that price. Giving stuff away is OK to get some of these in the field (the reason Byrd is running the special) but losing on each is another deal.

Sorry for the confusion and if anyone thinks they were deceived. BTW, the Byrd special is until the end of the month. They will be $439 after that but the discount will still work. $339 is still a better price and we offer free sihpping which Byrd doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    Mike,

Sorry for the confusion and if anyone thinks they were deceived. BTW, the Byrd special is until the end of the month. They will be $439 after that but the discount will still work. $339 is still a better price and we offer free sihpping which Byrd doesn't.
    Just for the record....I think I probably got one of the first from Brian and there was no discount applied at the $339 price. He told me via email that he wasn't making anything on the deal. Brian doesn't need me defending but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Brian, so those of us that ordered and checked out at 305.00 is this price going to be honored??

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I own a jointer with a Shelix head, and IMO, this unit is a bargain even at $439. IMO, the best features, a two-way tie for first place, are the noise reduction and absence of tear out even in heavily figured wood.

I own a Ridgid planer and it's great, but the Shelix head on my jointer has me spoiled. I've wished for years that Byrd would make a spiral head for lunchbox planers. The blades will probably still be sharp even after the universal motor burns out. I was going to buy a Jet combo once the spiral head option became available, but now I'm considering buying a DW735 just so I can put that head on it. Yes, really.

It's funny, but a Byrd head for a stationary planer of approx the same width runs well over $1,000, so I wonder how Byrd can afford to sell these even at a price of $439.

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Hmmm, I have a DW735 siting unused in a corner 'cause the knives suck' and my Delta beats its pants off and its 'a bit noisy' ie:herd of buffalos noisy. Occasionally I need carbide knives, and they are expensive. for the delta, somewhat cheaper for the dewalt from Infinity. I'm considering a shelix head, but the delta is old and I'm not spending $800 on a head for that one, I don't even want to buy another set of carbide tipped knives for it.

Is this the way to go? Shelix for the DW735 for 'occasional' use and HSS for the delta, or new planer with a shelix head and lose em both?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Brian, so those of us that ordered and checked out at 305.00 is this price going to be honored??
    Yes

Current price is $339 no discount. After Sept. 30 price will be $439 with the 10% discount. Free shipping in both cases.

Installation instructions and some photo's if anyone's interested.

DW735 Shelix

Peter,

What model Delta do you have? I sell a fair number for the old RC33/DC33 and the newer DC380. One nice thing about these heads is about a 50% reduction in noise on most machines.

To answer your last question, buying new power tools is always the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    Peter,

What model Delta do you have? I sell a fair number for the old RC33/DC33 and the newer DC380. One nice thing about these heads is about a 50% reduction in noise on most machines.

To answer your last question, buying new power tools is always the right answer.
    Brian, any chance the price will come down on a Shelix for a 20" Delta RC-51? Like maybe you have one laying around that you haven't been able to get rid of?

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevens View Post
    It's funny, but a Byrd head for a stationary planer of approx the same width runs well over $1,000, so I wonder how Byrd can afford to sell these even at a price of $439.

John
    John,

I have a byrd head on my jointer and love it. I also have a DW735....so you can see where this is going.

As for the price. The larger planers have a larger diameter cutting head, which leads to more rows of inserts. The Dewalt model has 39 inserts (3 rows of 13). The Byrd head for a 15" stationary planer has 96 (6 rows of 16). At $3 an insert you are looking at $117 for the dewalt, vs. $288 for the 15" head for just the inserts. I would say that is the main reason the dewalt head is less.

And now that you got me crunching numbers, the 8" jointer head I bought was $350, with 56 inserts (+5 spares). If you go with a $3 cost per replacement insert, then right at 50% of the cost of the head is in the inserts. Likewise, the 15" planer head is $599 at Grizzly, and would have 101 inserts (96 + 5 spare) at a replacement cost of $303. Again, right at half. Hmm....now I am thinking the cost of the dewalt head is overpriced compared to the number of inserts it has. I will most likely get one, but it makes me wonder if they arent putting a premium on them.

Andy

Well, after some thought, I decided to pick up the Shelix. Once it arrives, I will relay my experiences.

Steve, I will be purchasing a DW 735 soon.
    Yes, please post on how the shelix installation goes and improvement in the operation of the 735. The installation looks fairly straight forward.