Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel price INSANITY!

Fuel price INSANITY!

I left the office for lunch at 1:30. Unleaded fuel was $4.01. Just filled up at $4.39. Donalsonville, GA is now over $5.00. As you guys seeing the price increase?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I paid $3.51 yesterday and that was locally in SE PA. It's about 10-15 cents lower in New Jersey.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

News reports say that the southeast US is going to see big increases because of the shutdown of the refineries in the Texas area due to hurricane Ike. Other areas won't be as affected because they depend on other refineries.

Better fill up now. They say prices won't go down until October sometime.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I filled up this morning because I needed gas soon and anticipated that the speculators would be bumping the price up because they are losing a couple of days of production along the Texas coast. Supposedly 1 in 4 gallons of US gas are produced in the area affected by the storm. Gas here was $3.59 this morning and at noon when I went out! The radio was reporting 20 cent per gallon jumps. In storm affected areas, I would suspect demand is high and the people that take advantage will be upping the price on what they have because the buyers don't have a choice if they want to get out ahead of the storm. Likewise don't look for any hotel bargains in Texas this weekend. Even Shatner will be paying full price if he goes to Texas.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

South Carolina now has long lines at every pump, and a number of stations are out of fuel. Since we are on the state line apparently Savannah stations are anticipating a lot of people crossing the state line, or those traveling north filling up before they enter South Carolina. I paid $66.25 to fill my tank. Headed out now to fill a near empty tank on the F250 - can't wait to see that receipt!

BTW, price of fuel last night - $3.69.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 09-12-2008 at 4:06 PM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Price of unlead regular increased 93 cent a gallon between 9 AM and 3 pm here.

Stan

Actually production has little to due with the run up of prices. It is the possible hit to refining capacity in the Galveston Bay area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=f...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=f...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I haven't noticed any price spikes in Colorado. However, I don't pay much attention to gas prices lately. I need gas no matter how much it costs. Since I started carpooling to work my Jetta gets a fillup only about every three weeks.

For those driving pickups around, I highly recommend buying a little commuter car if possible. (I understand many people need their trucks daily.) When I switched from commuting in a pickup to commuting in a Jetta, my whole life got better. I actually prefered making a car payment to paying outrageous amounts for fuel. Now that my Jetta is payed off, I'm even happier.

Buy a used Honda Civic, install a killer stereo and park the pickup for heavy duty operations. Watch and see how much happier you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Arceneaux View Post
    Actually production has little to due with the run up of prices. It is the possible hit to refining capacity in the Galveston Bay area.
    Understood Kevin, but understanding doesn't make it any easier to stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    For those driving pickups around, I highly recommend buying a little commuter car if possible. (I understand many people need their trucks daily.) When I switched from commuting in a pickup to commuting in a Jetta, my whole life got better. I actually prefered making a car payment to paying outrageous amounts for fuel. Now that my Jetta is payed off, I'm even happier.

Buy a used Honda Civic, install a killer stereo and park the pickup for heavy duty operations. Watch and see how much happier you are.
    Pat, we drive a 1997 Maxima to and from work every day, and for any work related activities that do not require the truck. The car is paid for, gets pretty good mileage (not like the Jetta), has enough dings that I don't pitch a hissy when someone bangs into it with a shopping cart, and it does't matter if we're pretty dirty on the ride home.

We do need the truck for deliveries to our main customer who, fortunately, is only five miles away.

People were stealing gas around here when it went above $3, I'm guessing if it hits $5 they'll cut your throat for it!

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Pat, we drive a 1997 Maxima to and from work every day ...
    It's amazing how much freedom one can get from a small car that's already dinged up! I really like nice cars, but those are best for weekend driving in my case.

Interestingly, over the past few months I've heard and read many times the primary reason gas prices went down was lower demand. Americans actually drove a lot less this summer. I love cars, but I think driving less is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    It's amazing how much freedom one can get from a small car that's already dinged up!
    So true! If we head downtown for a night out we always drive the Maxima. Since Savannah has "to go" cups, you see a lot more outdoor activities where people are intoxicated, and a lot more intoxicated people just generally roaming the streets than you see in other towns. I've actually walked out of a restaurant to see people sitting on the hood of my car. I'd be a little distressed if that happened to my other car.

Back to the gas issue. I just spoke with my parents who, thankfully, filled up yesterday. They live on the farm about 13 miles out of town. I worry about their neighbors and others who live on a fixed income. What do you do when you can't afford to go to work?

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    ...I've actually walked out of a restaurant to see people sitting on the hood of my car.
    OK, this is a serious derail, but I think it's a pretty funny story...

My dad and brother were walking to the car parked downtown one winter evening. As they got close to the car, they could a man standing next to it. At first, my dad wondered if the guy was trying to steal something inside. Then it became clear the guy was urinating on the door.

"What's going on!" my dad yelled.

"Oh, the lock on my car is frozen and I'm trying to thaw it out," they guy answered matter of factly.

"Your key doesn't work because that's my car!" Dad informed the guy.

At this point the guy zipped up, said he was sorry and tried to clean off the "mess" with some snow. My brother said he was in no condition to be driving.

Whatcha gonna do?

Blog Entries
    This is worse than the Baltic birch price increase con-job, or coffee, or olive oil. I try to gain some satisfaction in the fact that I drive about half of what I used to just a few months ago. Its amazing how many unnecessary trips I used to take without thinking about it. Of course this is California and you all know we normally would drive from the garage to the mailbox right in front of our own house to get the gasoline credit card bills ;-)

P.s. I would donate an extra dollar on my taxes to fund an outfit to financially destroy any company and all involved with it that hike prices during such a hardship of nature.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-12-2008 at 5:58 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hello,
    The price of crude dipped below $100 a barrel.
    If figures they'd raise the price of gas.
    Oil goes up - gas goes up.
    Oil goes down - gas goes up.

Once - just once - I'd like to hear one of those #%*&$'s from an oil company just come out and say the price is going up - "because we can".

I've been hearing all these excuses for close to 38 years.
    It's gotten real old.

Really - how can the price of crude oil drop 40% and the price of gas go up?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Really - how can the price of crude oil drop 40% and the price of gas go up?
    As Kevin said, this is all related to Ike and Galveston. South Carolina stations get their fuel from that area, as I understant it. So, when the refineries shut down for a couple of days fear developed that there would be a shortage of gas. Some stores are asking their customers to only buy ten gallons, etc. Now remember, these stores are selling gas they have paid already for, so it isn't costing them anymore for what is being pumped. I understand that they may have to pay a higher price to refill their tanks, but they don't know that for sure. I don't proclaim to understand the economics of it all, but I do understand someone taking advantage of bad situation. Those of us in this area, while feeling badly for those in Ike's path, were so happy to be out of the line of fire. We just never realized we'd feel the heat anyway!

Interesting info that I didn't know before about states who are under a state of emergency.

http://www.wwaytv3.com/aaa_carolinas...prices/09/2008
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 09-12-2008 at 6:21 PM. Reason: add link

Bella Terra