Thread: Fine woodworking Tool guide.

Fine woodworking Tool guide.

I dropped in Lowe's tonight to get the new Fine Woodworking Tool buying guide. First off it was $10 . I got to looking through it and was kinda disappointed in it. Cool new tools were not included like the Milwaukee new miter saw. Too new for the issue it said. Then I thought for sure they would have a review of the new larger bandsaws that are out like the Jet or Grizzly but no go. 14 inch was the lagest size reviewed. Seemd like a lot of small things reviewed like screwdrivers.

Is it just me or does it look like a rehash of old reviews?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I hate to say it, but I get better info off SMC and the internet in general than in print magazines. I once bought them like candy, but the prices have increased and the relelvant info (to me) has decreased.

The FWW Tool Guide is a collection aka "rehash" of previously published reviews in FWW & FHB, or so I've been told.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

FWW is very expensive, but I dont care at all about the tool reviews or that. I only read it for inspiration, and occasionally, a new technique.

My favorite mag (and the cheapest of all of them, ironically) is "Woodwork" although I heard this is their last year in print, under the current publishing company.

Alex, the next issue of Woodwork should detail what will be happening with the new publisher according to the Editor's remarks in the last issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wasn't impressed with the issue either. I paid particular attention to the bandsaw reviews, and I was similarly disappointed.

One of the many great things aobut SMC, is that I learn a lot about tools just reading threads. It has really helped me build my shop with tools well-suited around my upcoming projects.

Blog Entries
    I browsed through it and put it back. It is an art to keep the 'zing' in a magazine, especially the specialty publications. I recall a response to a reader's letter in a WWing mag where the publisher stated that they re-cover material about every three years. the material is sometimes updated or enhanced and sometimes not-so-much. Three years was their determined cycle from 'new reader' to 'out-grown'. Maybe so, maybe not, I don't know. I find FWW online to be the best value for FWW articles, etc. vs. the expense and storage problems of a magazine. If the other mags I get were 100% available online, I would do that with them as well.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-13-2008 at 4:24 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Reasons View Post
    The FWW Tool Guide is a collection aka "rehash" of previously published reviews in FWW & FHB, or so I've been told.
    I picked up the 2009 FWW Tool Guide off the newstand, and as previous posters have noted, it seemed like a reprinting of previous articles. Understandably, these tool guides are composed of reviews/summaries that have been previously published in the magazine. How much of a "rehash", howver, I didn't fully comprehend until last night, when I compared it to the 2008 FWW Tool Guide!

To the editorial staff at FWW, my response to the 2009 Tool Guide is "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

Approximately 50% of the 2009 TG articles are identical to articles published in the 2008 TG. By identical, I mean "cut and paste" identical. The "Power Tools" section fares the best, with only the Routers reprinted from the previous year. In "Machines", 4/6 reviews are identical (14" BS, Benchtop Drill Presses, Heavy-Duty Lathes, Spindle Sanders). Two-thirds of the "Pneumatic Tools" reviews, 1/6 "Hand Tools", and fully 7/11 "Accessories" reviews are the same as last years guide. Oh, maybe the layout and photographs were very slightly changed, but the tools reviewed and the Best Overall/Best Value tools were identical.

I realize that there are only so many new tools marketed each year, and a publication can only review a limited number of items. However, IMO what FWW has done with the 2009 Tool Guide is similar to picking up your Oct 2009 issue of FWW and finding half of the articles identical to those in the Oct 2008 issue.

I am sending a concurrent email to FWW Editors/Customer Service. 'Nuff said.

I find the best way to enjoy and gain knowledge from FWW is through a subscription to its website, not so much from its forum, but having access to so much published content, along with the video clips, is pretty useful.

Blog Entries

FWW tool guide is for one thing only

I usually end up buying it even though I subscribe to FWW. By leaving it around the house with little post its I'm able to get something I want for Christmas and my birthday. I'm going to guess that I'm not the only one who does this which might explain the focus on smaller tools. Even if my wife was willing to spend the money I doubt she would buy a bandsaw or jointer no matter how many times I underlined the item, but a new sander or chisel, that's easy.

As several I glanced at it on the shelf and realized soon that I wasn't going to pay for that edition. I really don't trust tool reviews as many or not included and I question some reviews as to the significance of what priorities they intended when reviewing.

I find over the years that I like to make my own comparisons of machines side by side as the truth is hard to hide if you know what to look for. Eye to eye with the machine tells me exactly what I want to know and will dictate which one I want and not what someone else reccomends.

Sarge..

I haven't picked up one of the Tool Guides for several years (shop in storage, money squeaky tight), so I snagged this one. Like others, I was disappointed, although for different reasons. Reprinting 1/2 of the '08 issue doesn't bother me, since I didna see or have the it in the first place.

Truck racks? C'mon. Why not review cell phones too! Those are indispensable tools of the Fine Homebuilder.

And, IF I recall correctly, they didn't even include the DeWalt miter stand in their review of miter stands, even though its the most widely available stand out there!

Definitely NOT up to Taunton's usual standards.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.