Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jury rejection questions?

No experience

I have never done a juried show nor even applied to one, but from what I have read about them and reading the other postings I am having a thought. I know you want to make many types of pieces but maybe the next time you apply to one just make one style, get accepted and have that show on your resume. Reading about juried shows almost seems like the artist/crafter is applying for a job. Not all want to hire someone without experience,
    but some are willing to take a chance, and once you have one show on your resume then the next juried show you apply for you can expand your line of work to include more things because you are then an "accepted artist" in that community and then you are "expanding your horizons". Just a rambling thought.

Russ is right on. In the past I would enter pictures of the variety of work I do (read, enjoy) and get rejected 3 out of 4. This past year I enter fewer shows but for each I sent only one look. One show I sent dyed maple pieces, another I sent the hand-fluted pieces, and another yet inlaid platters, and was accepted all around. A pro artists freind told me they call it 'A consistent body of work'. A signature look like Jim mentioned of Winton or Wolf or Priddle or the Burns finial is even better than the 'consistent body of work' but not drop dead nessecary.

Craft vs. Art? Think about it this way; a craftsman can produce many well made beautiful things. An Artist makes one thing beautiful. Don't confuse a well developed concept being produced by an artist as production work, rather growth of the idea and vission.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Frank,

'A consistent body of work' seems to be exactly what they are looking for. Not being from art world, I don't really understand it but I can accept it. In my world (construction) if I can build a house I can also do an addition or remodel a kitchen or change a front door with equal skill.

I assumed (there is that nasty word) that sending them a variety of work would show them that no matter the shape, I could turn it and produce a quality product. Obviously I was wrong.

Live and learn.

Toney

I found the comment from the project head a bit confusing. For me, borrowing a quote from Robert Heinlein, "specialization is for insects!" Jurying for shows is a crap shoot, you never really know what to expect. Two important things also on most applications are: what other shows have you done, and an artists statement. These can have as much impact as your photos. For me, I turn mostly bowls, but also hollow forms, natural edge bowls, and boxes. Mostly practicle stuff. Don't give up, apply to some other shows, and keep up the good work. Nothing wrong with your stuff. Go to the show if you can, and see just exactly what the other artists who got in have.
    robo hippy

I think your work is beautiful.. Enter another show with the same pieces and see what the result is. Ive done a few of these things.. Similar to another story.. the first one I was a major hit. The last one nada. And I thought the stuff the judge picked wasnt very good.

Dont let it get to you. I was scared to death the first few times I let anyone evaluate my work. I still get nervous and it still hurts when they make any suggestion that seems negative to me. Just not as much as it did the first time.

Thanks for sharing your story with us!!!
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Here's a question----what are you going to do different next year????
    Some juried shows take years to get into.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Gary,

If that question was directed at me then my answer would be that I would pick one turning type and submit ONLY those pieces. Seems that is what the judges wanted.

I don't know if I will resubmit on not.

Toney

From the tone of this thread, I would guess that you would not feel any WORSE if you were turned down again, so you only have one way to go from here! I think you should stick with your plan of being the best at one particular style, get some awesome wood, and show'em what they missed this year. Good luck!

Perspective not mentioned

One of the items about a juried show that hasn't been mentioned is the show itself. The jury knows what they are putting together and sometimes the mix or the entire show is what matters and not the individual artist. The show has to attract visitors/patrons. If the show has too much of one style or medium, the show itself will be boring. The jury has the mission of making the show interesting. If your work is very good (and I think it is) but there are two artists of the same medium and same (or similar) body of work, they will go with one and not the other. Sometimes that "other guy" is one that has a well known name or even just a guy that did well last year. The mission here is to bring in the visitors. What ever draws or balances out the show. I personally think that you weren't rejected as much as you were not included in the show. There is a difference. Your challenge in the future is to some how convince the jury that your work will attract people and get folks out of the house and in the door.
    I made a living for 30 years in art. We put our soul and heart on the line and let folks judge us by our work. To be subjected to personal whims and tastes at every turn is tough. Do not let someone elses opinion stop you from achieving your goals.

One other aspect of this strikes me: why enter only one show? It might be the jury that does not mesh with your style, it might be the goals of the show differ from your vision, it could be a zillion things. World class artists get rejected from juried shows; I know a local glass blower who was rejected and one of his former protege's (whose work is a poor copy of the master) got in.

This whole process is too random to put all of your emotional eggs into one basket. Enter 5 or 6, using what lessons you think you have learned from this experience. Caution though: no matter how often you get accepted, rejection will always feel like this. It is the nature of the game you are playing.

I know of one big juried Art show that has No wood at all---they just don't like wood.
    Makes no sense to me but it's true. I just got accepted to a show that has taken me 5 years and 5 attempts to get in.
    Why mess with it-----$$$$$$$$$----that's why I do shows to make a living. We don't make DVD's or teach classes so the money to pay bills has to come from somewhere. It would be nice to do shows just to show off but for us that's not the case.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

'A consistent body of work'
    In the world of the artist, collectors have tendency to get an artist's piece. They really like it, and they get another. If the two have some similarities that 'tie' them together it is deemed more desireable. Think of the encyclopedia britanica, you don't just get the 'G' volume. You get the entire collection.

Many artists, produce a series of 5 -20 pieces that may contain a theme. Once they've done that, they can move on to another piece. An artistic 'one off' is really the artist trying something new, if he/she likes it, they will produce a series out of it.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    From the tone of this thread, I would guess that you would not feel any WORSE if you were turned down again, so you only have one way to go from here! I think you should stick with your plan of being the best at one particular style, get some awesome wood, and show'em what they missed this year. Good luck!

Robert,

"I would guess that you would not feel any WORSE if you were turned down again". I had to laugh at that one and you are right!

Thanks for brightening my day.

Toney