Thread: Is there THAT much difference between machines?

Is there THAT much difference between machines?

I turn on a TeknaTool Nova1624-44; it's my first and only lathe, which I've had just short of a year now. The only other machine I've ever turned on is a Jet 1642 at the local WoodCraft in a couple of classes. Now, I really liked the variable speed feature, and it felt very solid, being mounted on a cement floor, whereas my 'shop' has a wood floor with (newly) reinforced joists. My question is, are there really noticeable differences between a consumer grade machine, like mine, as a truly professional tool like a OneWay or Stubby, given similar support? What would they be? Thanks for any input from those with the experience to comment on this. Mike

Reside on a farm south of Churchbridge, Saskachewan, Ca

Big Diff

Hi
    The difference would a kin to my 52 Ford 1/2 ton rattling down me driveway and a BMW purring down a freeway in Germany.

A couple of years back I upgraded from bottom of the line type lathe to a very very good one the difference is large indeed.

Denis

Denis,

Would be interested to hear, specifically, which lathes you upgraded "from" and "to".
    Richard in Wimberley

Yes, there are discernible differences between the mass market machines and the custom made machines in weight/mass, smoothness, fit/finish and other things. And you have a number of options in the high end relative to the physical format of the tool so you can optimize your purchase based on what kind of work you turn and where you like to stand. (Exactly why I have a Stubby after turning on several high-end machines to get the feel for how well they would fit how I like to work)

The one mass market machine that somewhat bridges between them is the PM 3520, IMHO, but with price increases coming, it's getting darn close to the "low end of the high end" economically.

FYI, my first lathe was the "venerable" HFT 34706 acquired in 2001. (Jet 1236 clone) My second was a OneWay 1018 with a bed extension acquired about 6 months later after I tumbled down the "slippery slope". That was a very sweet machine and only lacked in swing capacity. If I would have had the space, I would have kept it for spindle work for sure. My current (and likely last) lathe is a Stubby 750 acquired in Feb 2004.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've turned on three machines, an old Delta 1/2 horse power 12" swing, a PM3520, and a One Way. The one way was a great machine, but I have to say I like the 3520b better. I'm 6'7" tall the Pm is set up for my height, which is one thing I like. The other is the sliding head stock and turning off the end. When working HF or vases you have free range with your tools (standing on the end) you don't have to bend over the machine. The One Way you have to swap your work out to the other side of the head stock. Just my 2 cent.

Bruce, you reinforce one of my points very well..."how" you like to turn and your own individual comfort needs are very important when choosing a lathe. Many people mistakenly thing that turning is all hands and arms. It's not. One of the things that folks like David Ellsworth and Bill Grumbine teach right away is that the whole body is involved. If you are not physically comfortable and completely in balance, your turning can never be as good as it might...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thanks for the input, guys. mike

Another difference between the "hobby" machines, and the "production" machines, is that the production machines are made for heavy use and abuse. They are bigger, heavier, and will probably wear you out before you can wear them out. I prefer the sliding headstock, and adjustable legs. The Robust is the only lathe that I know of that has legs that will go up and down to fit just about any turner. I had my PM up on a 4 x 4 to get it to height.
    robo hippy

If you're looking for specific differences, the money that the pro machines command get you better and/or bigger bearings, tighter tolerances in the machining of the various parts, especially the spindles, heavier castings and construction.

In other words, all of the things that don't show up on a spec sheet.

I turn just about every day of the week ---just don't have time to repair lathes---turn some really big wood---------Powermatic 4224-----and would not trade it for any lathe.
    Back to the shop----I got a 100lb block of Black Ebony calling me.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    I turn on a TeknaTool Nova1624-44; it's my first and only lathe, which I've had just short of a year now. The only other machine I've ever turned on is a Jet 1642 at the local WoodCraft in a couple of classes. Now, I really liked the variable speed feature, and it felt very solid, being mounted on a cement floor, whereas my 'shop' has a wood floor with (newly) reinforced joists. My question is, are there really noticeable differences between a consumer grade machine, like mine, as a truly professional tool like a OneWay or Stubby, given similar support? ...
    Mike,

Others have already commented on some of the ease of use features that are available on a high-end lathe. Allow me to address another aspect, the stability of the lathe. One of the primary differences between high-end lathes and mid-level lathes is the size of the bearings and rigidity of the lathe. A high-end lathe has larger, stronger, bearings. It's better able to resist the twisting forces from an out-of-balance blank. It's also beater able to handle the weight of a large, wet, piece of wood. In addition, the lathe's headstock, ways, tailstock, and "structure" tying everything together, are beefier and better able to resist and dampen vibrations. A high-end lathe's tailstock is able to apply more "clamping force" to secure a hard to hold blank between centers. In general, the banjo and tool rest can absorb more force before slipping or flexing. Most high-end lathes come with better, higher capicty motors and drives. All these features make it easier to turn larger, heavier, out of round blanks.

Your Nova and the Jet you used in class are both quality lathes. With everything in balance, you might not notice much difference (other than the comfort/convenience features already discussed) turning on one of those lathes and turning on a Oneway or a Robust. However, put an out of balance blank on your Nova and it might try walking around your shop while a higher-end lathe would stay put.

Given your floor, would the extra beefiness of a high-end lathe give you any benefit or would the floor just bounce more? I think the higher-end lathe would still provide some benefit. The lathe itself will dampen vibration and not transfer the force to the floor. (This assumes the lathe does not exceed the weight bearing capacity of your floor.)

None of this means you need a higher capacity lathe. By rounding off your blanks on a bandsaw, your large blanks should be close enough to running in balance that you can turn something as large as your lathe will physically hold. But, there are times when a turner wants to turn with the blank out of balance (say to take advantage of a particular feature in the wood or to turn something with multiple centers). That'll be easier to do with a beefier lathe. How many times are you going to want to do that?