Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A woodworkers tool?

A woodworkers tool?

I received an email a few weeks ago from a gentleman who was looking for someone to make him Bookbinder's Awls. After receiving a photo and some specs it occured to me that it was what those of us in the wood world would call a Brad Awl. Amazing the different terminologies of the different trades used to describe the same tool.

Most of us wouldn't think of it, but paper and parchment are incredibly abrasive materials, equal to and in some case surpassing wood in their ability to dull an edge. After emails back and forth, we settled on using HSS for the .125" diameter blade with a chisel point end and a 40 degree included angle. The HSS is at Rockwell 62-63C and because of its composition will retain its temper even if blued on a grinder. I had to send it out for the heat treat because of the special schedule required to harden, quench, and temper HSS. The handles are Gabon Ebony with a oil and wax finish. It was a fun project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

No glass of wine?

Hey Dave,

I thought when you finished a job like that you usually had a celebratory glass of wine? (grin) Great looking tools and that ebony is just classic looking.

Ron Brese

Simply beautiful work, Dave!

And yea...where's the wine glass??????????
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Awl

How does the shaft appear at the handle. Is it a bolster? Is it a square tapered tang?

Stephen

Dave,
    I would be interested to know how these are used in bookbinding. I spent almost 20 years in the commercial print business and never ran across anything like this.

Thanks,
    Lee

Great looking tools.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

A couple of answers folks.

1. I simply forgot the glass of wine. Rest assured though that it was imbibed.

2. The .125" dia shaft simply is inserted into a very tight hole. There is no bolster.

3. These awls are for a guy who is a book and document conservator and who also wanted to sell them to others in his business. They are used for piercing the paper in the old time method where the books are hand sewn and then bound.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 09-15-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Hi Dave

Beautiful work! Nice shaping. The combination of ebony, brass and steel is wonderful.

For holes, why a brad awl?

What not a birdscage awl?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

I really don't know the bookbinding and document conservation business so I'll defer to the judgement of the customer who is a full time professional. Personally I would suspect that a Birdcage Awl would do as good, if not a better job and with less effort. On the other hand, if there was a thick stack of paper, you wouldn't want the hole to vary in size between the top and the bottom sheet of the stack.

I did make the suggestion of changing the blade from carbon steel to the High Speed Steel to increase strength, durability, and to prevent the loss of temper should someone get over zealous with a grinder. The final result is an almost exact replica of the size and shape of the tool the customer sent me the drawing of.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Beautiful, and simple.

Not sure if you're interested but maybe other bookbinders or suppliers would be interested in selling it? I purchase archival supplies from a small Virginia-based company that specializes in archival conservation supplies and tools, Conservation Resources International (website under that name). No idea if they'd be interested or at what price. Your awl just reminded me of the quality of the (pretty specialized) materials they carry.

I have to ask about a stitching awl...

Dave,

About 4 or 5 months ago I was talking to Dave Jeske about a stitching awl, but nothing ever came of it.

The awl I like most is the Osborne awl that Tandy sells, it fits the hand nicely, allows for flipping around with your fingers, and punches holes with ease. Being able to flip the awl while stitching is key, as you need to punch the hole, then do a double stick with a needle on each side, and pull them through.

At some point I might try to make my own. This is what it looks like, boy that would be the cat's meow in ebony!

I think leather workers would admire a nice awl with a nice handle on it, if it was this style. If you are ever by a Tandy, you can see one up close, to see the shape of the blade.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Dave, As usual, your work looks great. Lars

Hi Dave, Actually the customer intends to resell them himself though I don't know whether it's on a website or through his personal contacts. I expect this order will repeat over time so I'm not going to take the low road and build up competition for my customer. It's just not right. Since he took the iniative and the risks he should reap the rewards.

Hi Alan, That stitching awl is attractive though it's also somewhat sinister looking. The Tandy store in NH closed its doors a few years ago. It sounds like you are into leatherwork. Any chance you could post pix of some of the cases and shields you have surely made for some of your hand tools? I'm sure folks would be interested in seeing them.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Awls

Dave,

Aren't you concerned about the shaft becoming loose when the awl is twisted when it is pushed through the paper? The shape is identical to a brad awl, but the brad awl has a bolster and square tapered shank to keep it from turning in the handle.

I actually have a couple of brad awls, one in an American pattern handle and the other in a European design, and both have collett chucks to hold the round brad or scratch awl points.

Stephen

Hi Stephen, I'm not worried about it twisting in place. I drilled the holes for an extremely tight press fit and with 1.5" of shaft within the handle there is a huge amount of friction to prevent rotation. One of the hardest parts of making these was mechanically press fitting the blade into the handle. Even with a levered setup it was very difficult. If the awl was going to be h it with a mallet, then I woild have considered a bolster...mostly to prevent the handle from splitting.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH