Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: User braces and egg beaters: suggestions?

User braces and egg beaters: suggestions?

I have been wanting to get a brace and an egg beater drill for quite some time, but never had the opportunity or need to follow through. However, I am now situated in Camden, Maine, which happens to be located near lots of antique tool shops.

Anybody have suggestions on particular models to look for, in terms of usability and repairability? Online searches suggest Millers Falls for egg beters and North Bros. for braces, but I thought it worthwhile to get some interactive opinions. Plus, I'd rather spend $10 on a good user than $100 on another drill where collectors have bumped the prices too much...

Also, any suggestions on what to look at in the drills themselves?

Thanks!

-b

I am by no means an expert, but I picked up a North Bros. eggbeater that has some pretty cool ratcheting features. There's a thread on this forum somewhere about it. I've used it a bit lately and like it a lot.

I also have since picked up Stanley and North Bros. yankee drills, which can often be very handy since they are quick and light.

From Randy Roeder's great Millers Falls study page (http://oldtoolheaven.com/) :

"In February 1956, Joe Guilbault, a veteran of fifty years in the Millers Falls hand drill department, was interviewed for the firm's employee magazine, Dyno-mite. During his long tenure, Guilbault worked on sixty-one different hand drill models, fitting the gears on more drills than perhaps anyone in the history of the company. Asked if he has a favorite among all the models, Guilbault replied, "The number two, that is it. The best hand drill in all the world. The number five, too. I like two and five best."

For braces, I'm most fond of the Stafford/Fray models with the pewter rings. Elegant in their simplicity and very nice to look at.

HTH,
    Tony

Tony,

I like the Miller Falls 2 I have, it's a great hand drill, IMO. I also use a Yankee sometimes, and it's convenient for small things. I could use the MF for most of the stuff I use the Yankee for also...so if I had to pick, the MF would get the nod for my use.

One thing I really like about the Miller Falls is on the handle gear, it has 2 gears in conjunction with it, so it seems solid in the way it operates. Just operates and functions well for me. I also like Miller Falls stuff, as well as Goodell-Pratt, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Awhile back I picked up a restored Goodell-Pratt two speed egg beater from WK Tools that's been great. While it sounds like you want to do your own restoration, a visit to WK Tools might be good for some inspiration.

Prior to getting my restored Goodel-Pratt egg beater, I had picked up a no-name one at a flea market. For the most part the no-name was in pretty good shape and worked, but after using it a awhile I found a problem with it. Small bits would not sit perfectly centered in the chuck. I disassembled the chuck, cleaned it up and attempted to discern what the problem might be, but I was never able to.

So what you may want to do is carry a small bit with you to check the chucks on the drills you're interested in buying. Turn the drill with the bit in it and see if the bit is perfectly aligned to the center, or if it wobbles.

Best to keep your eyes open and be aware. I have picked up several Millers Falls eggbeaters and several 2101 Braces for under $30 each. It's easier to find the eggbeaters cheap, good braces are harder to find, but they're out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fleis View Post
    I'd rather spend $10 on a good user than $100 on another drill where collectors have bumped the prices too much...

-b
    That statement makes me laugh. It is actually the users that drive up the prices. Yankee bell system braces used to be a dime a dozen even on ebay until the user community heard their praises. Now they go for $50+ . Also the stanley 750 chisels used to be had for cheap then Lie Nielsen modeled their bench chisels after them and it sent the prices sky high. The stanley 112 after featured on the cover of a popular WW magazine went from $50 to $150. Quote from B&G

"For the longest time, the plane labored in relative obscurity among a cult of those adroit in the fine points of scraping. It used to be that these things sat unloved at tool events and auctions, and one almost ducked for cover when asking $75 for one. However, a popular scratch n' sniff magazine prominently featured the plane on the cover of an issue, and the prices of the things have never been the same.." Patrick Leach.

If anything it has been user demand that drives the price up on WWing tools. As handtools become more popular, the more usefull, quality tools will demand a higher price because the newer (less quality) versions cost so much to produce.

Another country heard from

I can't say enough nice things about the Stanley 610. This is a shielded-gear drill - nice if you have small children in the shop - but it's also got a ball bearing thrust bearing, and operates VERY smoothly.

I'm not a fan of the Millers-Falls No. 2. I have two examples, and, on both, the rear handle is wobbly, because the wood is worn out, which makes drilling very dicey. I agree with another post that wobbly is BAD in eggbeater drills.

In my opinion, eggbeaters are optimal up to about 3/16" (although, for small holes, as in screw or hardware installation, NOTHING beats a push drill). After that, a brace is superior.

Living in Maine...

I envy you, I really do. I went to a few stores on the east coast when I was on my honeymoon... tool heaven. I bought an almost-complete brace bit set (and filled in the gaps for a total of 15 bits) for less than $20. The brace I use is a Pexto, and I have a couple more waiting for restoration. Enjoy the old tools!

Clint, it is good to understand reality. Next time I see I am at the antique tool place, I'll make sure to quietly curse you and the rest of the neanders for every high priced old stanley I see :-D

But in all seriousness, I suppose it makes sense. Antique collectors probably don't drive the prices up for the less than pretty planes too much. Only the really polished and clean ones would benefit from that, and I am not even looking at those.

-b

Thanks for all this excellent input. Now I just need to hunt a few down.

-b

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Jones View Post
    That statement makes me laugh. It is actually the users that drive up the prices.
    Maybe so, but it's also folks like you that do a good job at driving the prices up also.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    Maybe so, but it's also folks like you that do a good job at driving the prices up also.
    Nope sorry I dont. I dont buy stuff unless its dirt cheap . The only time I pay dearly is if it is something I want for my collection and that kind of stuff you shouldnt be using anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Jones View Post
    Nope sorry I dont. I dont buy stuff unless its dirt cheap . The only time I pay dearly is if it is something I want for my collection and that kind of stuff you shouldnt be using anyways.
    Sure you don't buy unless it's dirt cheap, but how much of those do you sell for dirt cheap prices?

That's my point.

In your previous message you were placing the onus for the prices of vintage tools going up on the user/buyer, because they pay the prices for them. I don't disagree, but in part it is the dealers that continue to search out tools at dirt cheap prices, and sell them for market value, or more if they can, who contribute just as much to the inflation.

In a previous career more than 20 years ago, I sold vintage guitars. Jackson Browne was always upset at the vintage guitar dealers, claiming they raised the prices to outrageous levels. The dealers would claim it was supply and demand, and that if folks wanted those guitars, and that the dealers were kind enough to make them available, they were not doing anything to fuel the fire. But even though I was a dealer, I knew very well that I would not buy something and sell it at a marginal markup unless it was to a friend. Do you think Jackson Browne felt bad about charging hundreds of thousands of $$$s to perform? And do you think Jackson Browne was trying to give away his vintage guitars when he wanted to get rid of some, loaded up in a u-haul truck, dragging them around to the dealers to sell?

At that time, many of the rock stars were already buying vintage guitars while on the road. Guitars that were dirt cheap as you say. Those guitars started to get more popular and prices started to go up, as dealers started to buy/sell them. We see the same thing happening with old tools, just like any collectibles.

How about selling me a Bedrock that you bought for $25, for say $35?
    --

Prices are what people will pay for them. Sometimes you can get a deal and pay less for something than others would pay, but you are just lucky in that instance.

Personally, I am very grateful that there are people like Clint around, searching for the deals and cleaning them up a bit. I don't have the time or inclination to do the searching myself usually, so it's a real worthwhile service for me.