Thread: Older Delta drill press

Older Delta drill press

I'm looking for some information on an older delta drill press. I've done some searching around the WWW but came up with nothing. The model number on the side reads "9202" it has a 3/4 hp motor and twelve speeds. Its a floor model and stands almost six ft. tall.

Cosmetically it has seen better days (small crack on belt cover, rusted table, chipped paint. But it runs good and there seems to be very little if any, run-out at all. Other than that I know nothing about it.

If you were to put a price on it, in what price range would you list it?

Thanks for any help you can provide, Doug

Pictures, Doug, post pictures!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Pictures, Doug, post pictures!
    Sorry Chris no pictures to post. A guy I know has the drill and I was wondering what a fair price might be for a possible purchase as well as if this model is a sound piece of metal.

Doug,
    My usual rule for used is not more than 50-60% of new price unless the item is really mint. How bad is the rust on the table? If it's just surface nothing a little elbow grease won't take care of. If it's heavily pitted you probably won't get it out. On the other hand if it's the typical small round table you'll probably want to put a larger auxillary table over the top any way and won't ever see the table. I haven't seen mine in years.

Dean

Doug,

Try the Old Wood Working Machines site for info on your DP:

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.asp?ID=1141

It may not be listed, but the site covers most Delta equipment. There is a discussion group as well - one word of advise, don't ask how much your DP is worth. They get sensitive about that for some reason.

Also check eBay for reference on price. On many items the price is higher than for private sale. But it is still a good benchmark for price and information such as typical problems etc.

Another thing to consider is how much it is worth to you - your time to fix versus your money to buy new or better used equipment.

Good Luck, Wes

Thanks for all the guide lines, information and links all were very helpful. To top off the deal, at no extra charge he is going to throw in a 1960 (or so) Dremel scroll saw,, that works. No big deal on the scroll saw, I'll end up selling that.
    Thanks again, Doug

I'll just chime in with a bit of a beef here, FYI. I have had my Delta 15" DP since new, about 1980 or so. WAs going to sell it as I had a similar vintage PM as a part of a shop deal, but decided to keep it. Anyway, I needed to replace the bolt and special nut that tightens the table to the column, and so called Delta for the parts. Over $40 for the pair of rather simple parts. So, while on the phone with the Delta rep., I asked about a table raising gear set, table to match, and crank. Price was $511.69, + shipping. I declined of course, but was thoroughly offended at the prices. I know Gillette did not get rich on the razors, but rather the blades, but this all seemed a bit silly.
    Alan